Thread: New Lightweight Paint Colors-Performance Colors

Default New Lightweight Paint Colors-Performance Colors

I was wondering if anyone has seen the new Carbon Cub in the Blue/Grey Performance Colors yet? Looked at the website and seen the Black, Red and Yellow, but no blue. Hopefully there is one to look at soon if not. Secondly, what is the difference in the paint on this one vs. the normal ones and how did they save 7 ibs.? If there is somewhere to read up on the process on the website, just let me know where I missed it. Thanks again.

Default Re: New Lightweight Paint Colors-Performance Colors

"Performance blue" paint scheme...
    IMG_0600.jpg
    IMG_0601.jpg

The painted areas are polyurethane paint which is very attractive and durable but heavy. The silver areas are two coats of Poly Tone silver over the Poly Brush layer which is why it is lighter. By mixing the two we get what we feel is an attractive paint scheme yet save some weight.
    Randy Lervold

If you look back at photos of airplanes built in the 20's and early 30's, most of the small ones were left in silver dope. Why? I suspect it was because the engines we also of relative small power, and heavy, so every ounce was important to performance. By not painting 70% of the airplane with poly paint, we save considerably in the overall weight of the airplane. The brite color tells your brain it is a painted airplane, but not much is actually painted. Just one of many ways to keep the weight to a minimum. It doesn't hurt that Harley-Davidson has recently promoted their dull-paint/shinny-paint schemes and evidently the public loves the idea... Jim

Jim, couldn't this paint process that saves 7 lb. be used on the regular Sport Cub also?

Question Re: New Lightweight Paint Colors-Performance Colors

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    "Performance blue" paint scheme...
    IMG_0600.jpg
    IMG_0601.jpg

The painted areas are polyurethane paint which is very attractive and durable but heavy. The silver areas are two coats of Poly Tone silver over the Poly Brush layer which is why it is lighter. By mixing the two we get what we feel is an attractive paint scheme yet save some weight.
    What are you using for a UV blocker? I know a blocker can be added to Polytone. It was not to be used as a full UV blocker.

Quote Originally Posted by wzlyyn View Post
    What are you using for a UV blocker? I know a blocker can be added to Polytone. It was not to be used as a full UV blocker.
    The Poly Spray (commonly called "silver") provides full UV protection. We put two coats of Poly-Tone silver paint on top of that, I'd have to check whether that provides any additional UV protection or not, it doesn't specify on their web site, but the Poly Spray is the primary protection.
    Randy Lervold

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    The Poly Spray (commonly called "silver") provides full UV protection. We put two coats of Poly-Tone silver paint on top of that, I'd have to check whether that provides any additional UV protection or not, it doesn't specify on their web site, but the Poly Spray is the primary protection.

Let me get this right. You save weight by reducing the number of coats of Polytone that is needed to cover the Polyspray. ( 2 coats Polytone over the Polyspray layer)

Polyspray is the silver "undercoat" underneath everything. Polytone is the top coat color used in the poly fiber system, comes in a variety of colors (in this case silver) The "color" in the paint scheme under discussion here is a "polyurethane" type of paint, not the same kind of paint as the poly fiber coats. It goes on with a lot more solids and builds up much thicker. You can see the difference when you look closely up close, as you can easily see the "grain" of the fabric under the polytone portions, while the color (red, blue, yellow or black) the fabric weave is much more filled in.

Pete D

Yep, as Pete indicates the polyurethane paint is what's heavy. When you paint one of our birds solid polyurethane it adds approximately 7 lbs.
    Randy Lervold

Can get confusing with all the "Poly"s tossed around, lol

Pete D.