Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Imitation: The Sincerest Form of Flattery! (subtitle: COPY ONLY THE BEST!)

Default Imitation: The Sincerest Form of Flattery! (subtitle: COPY ONLY THE BEST!)

In case you haven't seen. Looks like the other cub company is now copying the Carbon Cub (except for the engine).

http://www.legend.aero/news.asp?id=95

The Villages, FL (06FD, Grass Roots Airpark)

Default Re: Imitation: The Sincerest Form of Flattery! (subtitle: COPY ONLY THE BEST!)

I still wouldn't buy one!! ;-)

It the purse from a sow's ear thing.

One more thought - how easy would it be to kill the Super Legend with a SportCub and the hi-performanced O-200A? Especially at the Super Legend's price point!!! No contest in my mind.

JM
    Last edited by JohnM; 06-18-2011 at 11:52 AM.

Default Re: Imitation: The Sincerest Form of Flattery! (subtitle: COPY ONLY THE BEST!)

Guys that would be the S3!
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    One more thought - how easy would it be to kill the Super Legend with a SportCub and the hi-performanced O-200A? Especially at the Super Legend's price point!!! No contest in my mind. JM
    Right - the SportCub is a proven airplane. The only problem is that CC cannot deliver with the hi-performance 0-200. Instead, that is an after-market upgrade in all cases. Correct me if I wrong about that. Another reason why the Carbon Cub is so popular! If hi-performance is sought - no contest.

CubCrafters figured it out first - (How to make a Sport Cub fit into the LSA category AND still behave like a Sport Cub!) No one has done that better. Not even close.
    Last edited by RanRan; 06-18-2011 at 08:07 PM.

The Villages, FL (06FD, Grass Roots Airpark)

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan View Post
    Right - the SportCub is a proven airplane. The only problem is that CC cannot deliver with the hi-performance 0-200. Instead, that is an after-market upgrade in all cases. Correct me if I wrong about that.
    You're not wrong but you are overlooked the bigger picture!! CC can certify the perf O-200A so they CAN deliver it (product development). Legend doesn't have the airplane or the engine yet (and won't have it for a year) and they are making lots of noise. We certify the performance O-200 and introduce the S2+ or S3 (or whatever) and the Legend airplane doesn't even get out of the hangar because everyone is buying our airplane.....especially since Legend has closed the price gap for us.

It is OK to think outside the box just a little and CC does that very well.

JM
    Last edited by JohnM; 06-19-2011 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    CC can certify the perf O-200A so they CAN deliver it (product development). JM
    In talking with Randy, certifying an engine is an expensive undertaking.

Though the 'CC-220X-treme' engine does have a nice ring to it. ;-)
    Last edited by RanRan; 06-20-2011 at 10:43 AM.

As far as I can tell, the TCM O-200D is much the same thing as a hopped up O-200A. Tuned exhaust and the Sensenich carbon propeller make major performance improvements. I've flown a 9:1 O-200A with flow matched cylinders and I can tell the difference over a stock O-200A. The question is does the O-200D provide about the same performance? If so, the S-2 performance solution is really easy.

I have also flown Legends. One had the 120 HP Jabaru and it really set me back in my seat when I gave it full throttle. I often wished I had that engine in my S-1. Inspired performance and quiet. Legends are very well built and nice to fly so don't short change them until you have flown a couple.

As I understand it the O-200D is not just hopped up but they went through some extra hoops to make it lighter too. I know the cran flange, instead of being round just has six "fingers" with a bolt hole in each, eleminating some of the extra metal between each propeller bolt bushing. There are other things like that through-out the engine to make it lighter than the earlier O-200s.

Pete D.

Quote Originally Posted by reileyr View Post
    As far as I can tell, the TCM O-200D is much the same thing as a hopped up O-200A.
    Not the same thing - the hopped up 0-200A has more horsepower. The compression is higher in the 200D to allow burning mogas - but horsepower is still 100.

What I keep hearing is that the tweaked 0-200 by Aero Sport is producing 115-120 horse power. Is that in error?
    Last edited by RanRan; 06-20-2011 at 06:41 PM.

I have flown several of the hopped up O-200s, just got out of a Sport Cub with one on it this morning. I have not seen any dyno sheets, but I too have heard 115-120 hp. It is believeable. It really "wakes up" the engine.

Last night, with temps in the upper 70s I was around 900 fpm @ 70mph on climbout, this morning with cooler temps I was seeing 1100 fpm (was also a little lighter on fuel this am) Its not quite a Carbon Cub but it is definately not your average Sport Cub either.

Generally I see about 3-400 fpm increase in climb rate at similar airspeeds. (comparing Sport Cub S2s with and without the hi compression cylinders) Often times we will repitch the prop about 2 degrees to avoid going to much over redline when level/wide open. It depends on what it would do before the conversion.

Pete D.