Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Imitation: The Sincerest Form of Flattery! (subtitle: COPY ONLY THE BEST!)

Default Re: Imitation: The Sincerest Form of Flattery! (subtitle: COPY ONLY THE BEST!)

Thanks Richard. But, I actually just meant the Multiple Angle Valve Seat process. Not the high compression pistons, porting, etc.

Default Re: Imitation: The Sincerest Form of Flattery! (subtitle: COPY ONLY THE BEST!)

Quote Originally Posted by jasimmons View Post
    I actually just meant the Multiple Angle Valve Seat process. Not the high compression pistons, porting, etc.
    Instead of a single angle, the valve seat is ground with 3 or 4 angles. The multiple angles increase air flow by creating more of a venturi effect as the gases pass the valve. So instead of crashing into each other, the gases flow into the tuned exhaust. But it's all inter-related - if the exhaust is not tuned (some cylinders have more back pressure than others) then cutting multiple angle valve seats is not going to help much. The same goes for porting.

What I don't understand in all this is why Continental is not reporting any horsepower change in the 200D with high-compression 8.5:1 pistons. You can dyno an engine in an afternoon.
    Not about what the dyno says, its about the paperwork. If spec'd horsepower increased in the O-200D, then the S-LSA aircraft running them would get hit with a lowered certified max empty weight due to the formula used for determining such. Better to have the sleeper...

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan View Post
    I doubt that. The Legend and the Sport Cub both came out in 2005. The Legend was out first - by a week. There was no copying by either company - there wasn't time!

The better airplane will sell more - but, regardless, it's a big planet and plenty of room for both companies to thrive. Competition is a good thing for the buyers.
    Legend's entire aircraft in 2005 was a copy of a 60 year old design, albeit a classic design. I could build up a great clone too, just let me pull out my Wag, Univair and Spruce catalogs. I think Wag calls it "the Cubby".

The SPORT CUB is much better defined as an evolution. I believe anyone who walks around and sits in it, or better yet tours through the factory, can't help but see that it holds only the essence of the J-3 and/or PA-18. Legend it would appear has gone from copying Piper's old Cub, to now simply copying CC's new Cubs.
    Last edited by Clay Hammond; 06-27-2011 at 08:00 AM.

The Villages, FL (06FD, Grass Roots Airpark)

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Hammond View Post
    Not about what the dyno says, its about the paperwork. If spec'd horsepower increased in the O-200D, then the S-LSA aircraft running them would get hit with a lowered certified max empty weight due to the formula used for determining such. Better to have the sleeper...
    I agree with Mr. Hammond and will add another thought. The formula for max empty wt that Clay refers to contains a horsepower factor of half the continuous rated horsepower. So, since we solved a similar problem with the CarbonCub certification, we could do the same for the performanced O-200A in the SportCub. In other words, rate the engine for 120 hp (or whatever) for 5 minutes with a continuous rating of 100 hp.

The formula would fit nicely resulting many happy folks. Hmmmm. Sounds nice. Where can I buy one?

John

Easier to do when you are the manufacturer of record...i.e. CC-340. TCM wouldn't go for it I bet.

The Villages, FL (06FD, Grass Roots Airpark)

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Hammond View Post
    Easier to do when you are the manufacturer of record...i.e. CC-340. TCM wouldn't go for it I bet.
    Well, why not????!!!! It's only paperwork. What's not to go for? We sell airplanes and they sell engines. (Some companies has such trouble thinking outside the box even by a little.)

John

Just my 2cents. I'd rather push a lycoming around then ride behind a continental "and that was before the hateful ChiComs bought them". That being said legend already has a jabiru powered model that has an empty weight of 835lbs and 120hp. Why didn't they just add flaps to that rather then adding all the carbon so they could put in the heavier Lyc.
    Last edited by Ndill; 06-29-2011 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ndill View Post
    Just my 2cents. I'd rather push a lycoming around then ride behind a continental "and that was before the hateful ChiComs bought them". That being said legend already has a jabiru powered model that has an empty weight of 835lbs and 120hp. Why didn't they just add flaps to that rather then adding all the carbon so they could put in the heavier Lyc.
    CubCrafters and Legend lead all LSA manufacturers in the US. They are running pretty much neck and neck. Part of the reason is the CUB itself. A very, very proven design that may be the perfect LSA...and it's not nostalgia versus bubble canopies. Nostalgia says love the cute cub with its history of memories - and the market and LSA pilots say love it for its incredible fun...and safety, and handling, and room, and forgiveness.

The engines used seem to make little matter in the fun to be had.
    Last edited by RanRan; 06-29-2011 at 06:26 PM.