Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Imitation: The Sincerest Form of Flattery! (subtitle: COPY ONLY THE BEST!)

Default Re: Imitation: The Sincerest Form of Flattery! (subtitle: COPY ONLY THE BEST!)

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan View Post
    That all seems reasonably priced.

With the up-graded compression, is the engine then approved for mogas or is there another step...like buying a Peterson's sticker or whatever?

Thanks, Ran
    With an ELSA conversion, necessary for this mod, fuel restrictions no longer apply and STCs or other approvals not needed. You'd be free to burn whatever you like.
    Randy Lervold

Default Re: Imitation: The Sincerest Form of Flattery! (subtitle: COPY ONLY THE BEST!)

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    With an ELSA conversion, necessary for this mod, fuel restrictions no longer apply and STCs or other approvals not needed. You'd be free to burn whatever you like.
    Not to be a pest, but you LSA aircraft manufacturers and the FAA need to get together and simplify a system for E-LSA conversion going out the door. The system as it now stands costs you money, costs the FAA money, and costs the customer money.

Just sayin'

I think this is starting to get off topic. If you want a thread on hopping up an O-200 or converting to E-LSA, start your own!

Personally, I am upset that Legend would copy almost directly the engineering work of Cubcrafters.

Every customer that is an owner or builder of the carbon cub is paying for Legend Cub's engineering. They are a bunch of freeloaders. It's not like they came up with something new, or inventive. They copied it. If you don't invest in engineering work, then it is easy to set a price point (using our dollars).

sure hope that Jim got a patent on his processess for creating the carbon cub.

Quote Originally Posted by clipwingcub View Post
    Personally, I am upset that Legend would copy almost directly the engineering work of Cubcrafters.
    I doubt that. The Legend and the Sport Cub both came out in 2005. The Legend was out first - by a week. There was no copying by either company - there wasn't time!

The better airplane will sell more - but, regardless, it's a big planet and plenty of room for both companies to thrive. Competition is a good thing for the buyers.

Ran
    Last edited by RanRan; 06-23-2011 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan View Post
    I doubt that. The Legend and the Sport Cub both came out in 2005. The Legend was out first - by a week. There was no copying by either company - there wasn't time!
    Ran
    Ran, maybe you should re-read the news announcement.

"Further enhancements on the Super Legend include lightweight carbon fiber components such as cowling, doors, interior panels, spinner, and wingtip bows."

That sounds like copying to me. Surely you don't believe Legend is being innovative with the same carbon fiber components as the Carbon Cub.

Ran, maybe you should re-read the news announcement.

"Further enhancements on the Super Legend include lightweight carbon fiber components such as cowling, doors, interior panels, spinner, and wingtip bows."

That sounds like copying to me. Surely you don't believe Legend is being innovative with the same carbon fiber components as the Carbon Cub.
    They are dropping a heavier engine (233) into the Legend and needed to lose some weight. That's not copying, it's going with the lightest material of choice for those things in the industry.

I think it's all cool - we get to see what the 233 performs like in an LSA Cub - should be interesting.

You should buy one, and let us know how it works out for you.

You should buy one, and let us know how it works out for you.
    Nah, Randy sent me a CC cap. I'd rather buy a Carbon Cub anyway. ;-)

Can someone explain exactly what is being done here, what benefit it provides and why? Is there actually any performance gain from this? Just curious as I have heard/read about similar mod on several sites now. Thanks in advance.

Multiple Angle Valve Seat
    – resurfacing and contouring of the valve seat surfacesfor improved performance and
    increased durability!

Absolutely there is a benefit. What's being done is to apply modern engine racing technology to a 75 year old engine design. Helping the engine breath better allows it to produce more power. Ported and flow matched, triple seat valves, tuned exhaust, static and dynamic balancing rotating parts, plus higher compression is the way it is done. Note that higher compression doesn't help the engine breath better, but it does convert more of the fuel energy to torque by increasing the expansion ratio of the hot gases in the combustion chamber.