Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Imitation: The Sincerest Form of Flattery! (subtitle: COPY ONLY THE BEST!)

Default Re: Imitation: The Sincerest Form of Flattery! (subtitle: COPY ONLY THE BEST!)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    I have flown several of the hopped up O-200s, just got out of a Sport Cub with one on it this morning. I have not seen any dyno sheets, but I too have heard 115-120 hp. It is believeable. It really "wakes up" the engine.
    What I don't understand in all this is why Continental is not reporting any horsepower change in the 200D with high-compression 8.5:1 pistons. You can dyno an engine in an afternoon.

Isn't Bart using the same 8.5:1 pistons???

Default Re: Imitation: The Sincerest Form of Flattery! (subtitle: COPY ONLY THE BEST!)

Bart (and the other shops) that do the high compression pistons use a modified C-85 piston. I can't remember what the compression ratio ends up being, but I thought it was 9.1. Maybe I am getting that number mixed up from something else...

They also do some work on the ports as well.

Pete D.

Bart flow-matches and balances, cleans up any geometry problems, and then adds 9:1 pistons. I completely believe 115-120 hp. I had to add 4 inches of additional prop to prevent over-rev problems. It was stronger, faster, and as a bonus, cooler than before. R
    Ralph Rogers
    Owner: TheCubWorks
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.

Quote Originally Posted by Centmont View Post
    Bart flow-matches and balances, cleans up any geometry problems, and then adds 9:1 pistons. I completely believe 115-120 hp. I had to add 4 inches of additional prop to prevent over-rev problems. It was stronger, faster, and as a bonus, cooler than before. R
    All this begs the question: Why isn't CC offering the 0-200D instead of the 0-200A for the Sport Cub?

The 200D is lighter, can burn mogas, and with 8.5:1 pistons should be peppier with more horsepower...and less expensive out of the box when one factors in the additional cost of converting the 200A.

That doesn't preclude Bart tweaking the 200D for the ultimate little hod-rod.
    Last edited by RanRan; 06-22-2011 at 06:29 AM.

The Villages, FL (06FD, Grass Roots Airpark)

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan View Post
    All this begs the question: Why isn't CC offering the 0-200D instead of the 0-200A for the Sport Cub?
    I believe that Jim and Randy are of the opinion that Continental has done things with the O200D that brings long term reliability into question and don't wish to expose CubCrafters to that sort of question in the market place.

JM

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    I believe that Jim and Randy are of the opinion that Continental has done things with the O200D that brings long term reliability into question and don't wish to expose CubCrafters to that sort of question in the market place. JM
    Ahhh. OK Got it! They know what they are doing.

Soooooo....Does Bartenizing a Sport Cub after certification require a change from S-LSA to Experimental? Randy and I had spoken on the phone a few weeks back - but I don't think I asked that specific question.

Ran
    Last edited by RanRan; 06-22-2011 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan View Post
    Ahhh. OK Got it! They know what they are doing.

Soooooo....Does Bartenizing a Sport Cub after certification require a change from S-LSA to Experimental? Randy and I had spoken on the phone a few weeks back - but I don't think I asked that specific question.

Ran
    Yes, a Sport Cub must be E-LSA before we can pump up the motor-it no longer meets the original "type design."

Pete D.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    Yes, a Sport Cub must be E-LSA before we can pump up the motor-it no longer meets the original "type design." Pete D.
    OK. And what does Bartenizing the 200A Sport Cub cost?

Approximately. Without shipping and remounting expenses. Ralph? Bart? Anyone?

Ran

See attached...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Randy Lervold

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    See attached...
    That all seems reasonably priced.

With the up-graded compression, is the engine then approved for mogas or is there another step...like buying a Peterson's sticker or whatever?

Thanks, Ran