Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tank Cover

Default Tank Cover

Has anyone building the standard fuel wings added a tank cover. I'd like to know how much weight it adds, what thickness you used, and how you rigged the framing for the opening.

Thanks,
    Tony

Default Re: Tank Cover

Tony

You could purchase the parts that are used for the long range fuel system, use a single tank and cover both bays. You could also modify the parts to encompass just the single tank. Either way the weight will probably be 5-6lbs.

Thanks
    Mitch

We have actually converted a Carbon Cub here in the Services' shop with out taking the fabric off of the wings, or the wings off of the aircraft. Doing it while building the wings would be even easier. Mitch has a good idea there, if you got the parts for the long range tanks, you could just assemble them a little differently and cut a new tank lid out for the standard fuel setup.

Pete D

Thanks, would it be worth the weight penalty? I'm trying to think through the value of the cover - tank leaks, fuel spills easier to deal with, never really liked the way the cloth covers around the filler neck on my current cub. anything else?

Tony

That about covers it. (no pun intended there, it just came out that way, lol).

You could always do the setup for it, braces, nut plates, etc, then cover it with fabric. If you ever needed to get in there later, just cut and glue the fabric around the edge, screw the lid down. I would wait til you were installing the lid before drilling the holes in the lid, as it won't fit after the fabric is shrunk otherwise.

Pete D

Pete,

Now that is a great idea!!!! It would be good to do this now before I get the fabric installed.

Mitch,
    I'll drop you an email to get the parts.

Thanks,
    Tony

I started the tank cover mod today on the standard fuel wings, and posted pictures in a new album:

http://www.cubcraftersforums.com/album.php?albumid=19

If anyone is interested in doing this, so far it is not that difficult to do. when I get the right wing complete, I'll post more pictures to the mod album. I still haven't decided whether I will cover with fabric or the aluminum cover.

Tony

These are pictures of the completed wing with tank cover mod for standard fuel capacity wing. I chose to leave the #2 rib previously installed in place, rather than to install the false rib. The only thing that concerns me is that this leaves a slight hump in the center of the tank cover. I'm not sure if you have the same thing with the extended fuel wings. Someone that has built that can comment. Overall, this mod was fairly simple to complete, even for the previously completed left wing. I also updated the album.

Tony

DSC_0006_027.jpgTop View of completed wing tank cover.

DSC_0008_029.jpgTop view of leading edge skin for tank cover

DSC_0007_028.jpgTop view of tank extension skin for tank cover (installed over rear spar area).

Hi Tony, I have the extended range tanks and lids. There is no hump in the middle. There is a false rib on the bottom between the tanks but none on top. But it is necessary to put some kind of spacer between the tank straps and lid or it will vibrate too much. Mitch suggested the sticky backed type foam insulation like you might put around a house door or window and that worked fine, is easy to apply and adds no real weight. I like having lids.

Remember not to fit the tank lids prior to covering as the fabric shrinking will pull things around. And you might wait until the wings are actually bolted to the fuselage and the skylight in place. That way you can trim the center edge of the lid flush with the skylight or even overlap the skylight slightly. I didn't wait and fortunately the edges worked out fine but it would be easier to get a perfect fit and match afterwards. Were I to do it again I'd fit the tank lids as one of the very last things. But it would have messed up my painting schedule too.

It looks like you're coming along nicely on your wings. They take the most time. I figured close to half my time in the project was assembling and covering the wings.

Dan,
    Thanks for the tips. I think I will wait to fit and paint the lid until last step. I just finished the constuction of the second wing today. Whew, glad that is over with. I'm going to spend a week with a fabric expert in early September (I get to practice on his instead of mine), to prepare for doing the covering.

Tony