Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S2 Gross Wt.

Default S2 Gross Wt.

Does any body know what Cubcrafter tested the S2. Can I registered not light sport and increase gross Wt.I have a becker transponder it looks like it is touching back oil pressure/temp gauge doesnt have any thing supporting the back of it,does any body else have that problem? Transponder wasnt working on plane when I picked it up wondered if that is what happened to it vibrating on oil gauge.
    Thanks
    Chuck

Default Re: S2 Gross Wt.

Chuck,

There is no way way to get a light sport aircraft to have a higher gross weight. You can go to E-LSA and be able to do some things you cannot do with a SLSA, but the gross weight will always be 1320. Carbon Cubs have been load tested to 1865, (legal gross weight is still 1320) but the S2 has a little bit lighter wing, I don't recall off hand what the load tested number is.

If your Becker transponder is in a S2, I'm pretty sure that is not factory. I don't think we ever did any Sport Cubs with that option. There are some Carbon Cubs with Beckers though.

I don't believe that the Becker requires any support or mounting other than the four screws through the panel. I'm not really surprised to hear it is not working though, we have had a lot of trouble with those.

Pete D

It is S2 and it is factory has a 696 with becker radio & transponder,digital fuel ,tach & oil.I just sent it back for warranty, put the loaner in and saw it looked like it could touch the digital oil pressure gauge, looks like it should have had a support in the back. I was just curious about the gross weight somebody told me it was tested to 1600lbs. I think I will try to support the back when we install repaired one.

Chuck, I've sent you a message here on the board. Will be in touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Springloaded View Post
    It is S2 and it is factory has a 696 with becker radio & transponder,digital fuel ,tach & oil.I just sent it back for warranty, put the loaner in and saw it looked like it could touch the digital oil pressure gauge, looks like it should have had a support in the back. I was just curious about the gross weight somebody told me it was tested to 1600lbs. I think I will try to support the back when we install repaired one.
    That sure sounds like a Carbon Cub SS with a "Performance VFR" panel. Indeed, we've tested the airframe components to 1,865 lbs Standard Category standards.
    Randy Lervold

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    That sure sounds like a Carbon Cub SS with a "Performance VFR" panel. Indeed, we've tested the airframe components to 1,865 lbs Standard Category standards.
    Chuck here is the new owner of S2, #108

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    Aha, just checked, that aircraft is indeed a Sport Cub and the only one ever built with a Performance VFR panel. Very nice bird!
    Randy Lervold

Thanks Jason ,For a minute there I thought I Bought a carbon cub SS with 100hp
    So can anybody tell me what the airframe components were tested to on the S2? Also getting ready to change tail # can I go down to 3" numbers ?
    Thanks

Chuck the only way you can put 3" numbers on your plane, #108, is to have the plane certified as E-LSA. Yours is S-LSA.

Has very many of the S2s been certified ELSA.Does it hurt the value down the road much.Hate those big numbers on the side.