Thread: Lycoming 233

Default Lycoming 233

The light version of the Lycoming 235 (the 233) is in production now. 116 HP - maybe 125 with electronic ignition and fuel injection. Approved for mogas!

I hope this engine will be an option soon for the Sport Cub.

Default Re: Lycoming 233

No fuel injection, check here. That was originally planned but along the way it got eliminated. Apparently electronic ignition is an option but they don't say who's system it is.

We would need to make a significant engineering investment to install this engine, would it be worth it with virtually all customers opting to upgrade to the Carbon Cub SS?

Also, the O-200 can be easily upgraded via higher compression pistons to put out approximately 120 hp, and that engine is quite a bit lighter than the Lycoming. We have several customers flying these hopped-up O-200 birds and they all are very pleased with them. We'd be happy to build one for you too!
    Randy Lervold

The big bargain out there right now would be to buy a S1 or S2 and invest $5000 in having Bart work over the cylinders (flow match, balance, high compression pistons). Those airplanes would generate ca. 120 hp, and be much lighter than the 233. I loved mine...hated to see it go. As the numbers of S1-2 decrease, so does the opportunity for this bargain. Ralph
    Ralph Rogers
    Owner: TheCubWorks
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.

I understand both your arguments. But they beg the question: What could Bart do with the 233?

Would that be called the Carbon Cub S-3? The Carbon Cub Lycoming?

The 233 is going to be a hot engine in the LSA market for years to come.

The ostrich mentality has NEVER worked in any marketplace. I want CC to do well.
    Last edited by RanRan; 06-04-2011 at 01:27 PM.

With a 233 you would end up with an airplane as heavy as a Carbon Cub, for at least the same (probably more) cost, with 50 or 60 less horse power....doesnt add up to me.

Now, if on the other hand a builder wanted to put one on the nose of his EX, it might be interesting to see what it performed like.

Pete D

I have continued to have trouble with my O-200A and would be interested in getting info on the conversion that Randy talked about to increase horsepower. Could I ship my motor to Cubcrafters for the conversion? Any info/specs available?
    Ken

Ken: If it is the standard valve guide problem, you only need to send the cylinders in...or directly to Bart. It is a great conversion, you will then need to get the aircraft converted to E-LSA if not already done. Ralph
    Ralph Rogers
    Owner: TheCubWorks
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.

Quote Originally Posted by foxstardoc View Post
    I have continued to have trouble with my O-200A and would be interested in getting info on the conversion that Randy talked about to increase horsepower. Could I ship my motor to Cubcrafters for the conversion? Any info/specs available?
    Ken
    Ken, I've got information about it at the office I'll get to you tomorrow.