Thread: Oil Temp Gauge

Default Oil Temp Gauge

When I ordered my CC, I had read the forum and was concerned with the temperature problems that people had been experiencing. My concern was not only with the high temps, but also with the wide variations that were being reported. Ben Hodges and I had talked about this just about the time that the cowl flap mod came from Cub Crafters and Ben felt very positive about the results that had been achieved with the mod. As I didn’t want to spend the additional money for the glass panel, but wanted just more than was offered in the VFR panels, I got with Stan in the mod shop and we found a 4/1 gauge that would work nicely in the CC. They connected the single EGT and CHT probes to the respective cylinders that had been consistently reported as being the hottest. When Randy flew the plane before delivery, he felt the CHT was low and suggested I check it, which I did using the boiling water test. My thermometer said the water boiled at 210.5 df and the gauge said 210 df. At this time I did not pull the oil temp probe and check it, but I did when I added the oil filter and found that either the probe or the gauge had a 22-23 df discrepancy. I called Westach, the gauge manufacturer, and was given a resistance reading for a given ambient temperature and found that the problem was with the gauge. I sent the gauge to be repaired and completely recalibrated, reinstalled it, and am now confident that the temps that I am observing are correct. I am also including a picture showing how much of the oil cooler that I am using.

I now have 50+ hrs on my aircraft, and these are temps and pressure readings:
    Oil pressure is running between 75-79 psi with a slight inverse as temps increase
    Oil temp 170 df @ 2100 rpm, 175 df @ 2300 rpm, 180 df @ 2400 rpm
    Cylinder temp has been consistently at 300 df since I took delivery
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim McCabe
    Carbon Cub SS #153

Default Re: Oil Temp Gauge

Wow, great numbers Jim! You are to be commended for being such a conscientious owner, your Carbon Cub will not doubt live a long and happy life with you as its owner.

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with the other owners too, I'm sure they will appreciate it, that's really what this forum is for!
    Randy Lervold

Jim,

What power setting did you have (RPM, FF), what was the OAT and in what cylinder is the probe located in the image showing 300 dF CHT?

My #1 CHT will come in around 300dF, 1500', OAT=50dF at around 38% power. Other cylinders run up to 45 degrees hotter same conditions. To put it another way the only time I see a CHT with the Dynon near 300dF is when I am at low power and low OAT.

My airplane came with type K thermocouples from the factory, it should have had type J. When delivered my CHT's were 300 dF and below with the wrong thermocouples. Type K and type J thermocouples will read quite close at lower temperatures then diverge significantly 300 dF and above. Just a thought.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

Bob,
    Thanks for the information.
    I feel somewhat like Rosana Rosanadana on Sat. Night Live. "Nevermind".
    More later, I ran more tests and the results are like yours.
    May need some help.
    Jim
    Jim McCabe
    Carbon Cub SS #153

Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    Bob,
    Thanks for the information.
    I feel somewhat like Rosana Rosanadana on Sat. Night Live. "Nevermind".
    More later, I ran more tests and the results are like yours.
    May need some help.
    Jim
    Been there Jim.

Here are my current temps at "Max Continuous Power" and OAT of 51 dF. Cowl flaps full open.

Last edited by turbopilot; 06-01-2011 at 04:12 PM.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA