Thread: oil cooler

Default oil cooler

Could you folks in colder climates tell me at what OAT you take the foil tape off your oil coolers? I am trying to resolve a possible oil temp gauge issue.

Default Re: oil cooler

Scott,
    I probably need not respond in that I own an S2 with the 0-200 XP. However living in Vermont I often fly with temps around 0F through the winter months. With the oil cooler duct taped completely off I rarely see oil temps above 140 degrees often 120. Yesterday it was 25-30F and in 2.5 hours I finally saw 160. That and Red Winged Blackbirds at the feeder are a sure thing Spring is out there somewhere. A bigger problem for me is that when the temps get 15 degrees and below fuel line fittings begin to leak making me think I own an SR-71. This should be a new thread so I won't go any farther with it. Next year when the skis go on I will try tape on the cooler sides as well.

if it makes you feel any better we were at he lake and it was about -10f and the snow was blue under my Super Cub in the morning. I had to take all the panels off and tighten all the clamps.

I live in Alabama and my oil cooler has foil tape all year and It never gets over 185F
    EV