Thread: Oil Filter Installation

Default Oil Filter Installation

For those who are interested in installing the oil filter on your Carbon Cub, I hope this commentary and a few pictures will help.
    The first thing I would do would be to go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy approximately two feet of plastic hose to place on the outlet of the oil cooler after you remove the return line. You can secure it like a stand pipe or let it run into a container. I didn't and it will drip. With the hose and some rags, it will help you make the installation a little more sanitary. Also, I would suggest that after the return line is removed that you disconnect the breather line from the accessory case. It facilitates the installation of the 45 degree fitting and the filter adapter. The directions that are included with the STC are straight forward.
    If you will note on the photo of the finished installation, be sure that the oil return line clears the filter can, and also note that I double zip tied two spark plug leads and an EGT line to the breather tube to keep it from rubbing on the filter can.
    002.jpg leftside before starting
    003.jpg parts in STC, be sure there is the 45 degree fitting
    006.jpg filter base installed, breathe line disconnected
    008.jpg breather and return line installed, brass plug and parts underneath on left rear of accessory case is ECI's replacement for a vernatherm
    010.jpg completed installation
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim McCabe
    Carbon Cub SS #153

Default Re: Oil Filter Installation

Jim, great post and pictures. I learned alot yesterday on this while we were gathing that information for you. Glad it worked out. Thanks for sharing this, the pictures really add alot to it.

Excellent post!!! I installed the oil filter on my CCSS demo airplane, and it went exactly as you describe. Thanks,

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA

You are now ready to land in the DIRT! Order a couple extra airfilters, then come on up and explore some off-airport spots with us.