Thread: Any Carbon Cubs at Valdez?

Default Any Carbon Cubs at Valdez?

Anyone know if there were any Carbon Cubs entered in Valdez? If so, how'd those pilots do?

Default Re: Any Carbon Cubs at Valdez?

I've been looking at the youtube.com postings. Search for "valdez 2011 stol". I'm pretty sure there was at least one cubcrafter there.

There was one there. Had two 41 foot take offs, one landing that was DQ'd by maybe 6", one landing that bounced and ended up being 99 feet. Overall score was 140 feet. Not the best I have seen this guy can do, better next year.

Pete D

Here's an article from the Wired magazine web site. It doesn't have full results and it doesn't mention the CC that entered this year, but it does mention Paul Claus and his performance in the CC last year.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2011/05...ow-can-you-go/

By the way... the guy who had the CC this year is from Gig Harbor up by you IslandPilot.

Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

I looked at the results from the Valdez competition under the Alternate Bush and Bush classes. The Carbon Cub is put into the Alternate Bush class with the hot rod purpose-built Cubs. It turns out that two 41' take-offs looked really good. The only shorter take-offs were two at 36' and one of those pilots also had a 37'. Everyone else was longer than 41' and most by quite a bit. Even the winner, Ed Doyle, in the nitrous-burning Cazoom had 43' and 45'.

In the Bush class (stock Super Cubs) only the famous Alpha Cub flown by Paul and Jay Claus was in the same league. They had 50', 46', 69' and 54'.

The key to winning is combining a super short landing with a great take-off. Ed Doyle's winning landing was 35'!

Fantastic info Dan....thanks!! How true, combining that short take off with a similarly impressive landing is what putting it "all" together means eh?

It's so impressive how quick we can get these beasts off the ground. Landing them in the shortest distance possible however is a constant challenge, for me anyway, I think because standing on the brakes hasn't been burned into my landing coordination neurons for too long!

Thanks again.

Hey PilotMike,

Thanks. Sorry for the delay, I've been away. Don't know if any of you get up to the islands but on July 23rd I believe, Friday Harbor Airport (KFHR) will have a fly-in and I've suggested they do a short take off/landing event. I'll post more in another thread when I have more info.

Summer was pretty fun this week eh? Looks like back to winter Sunday, so I hear.

Quote Originally Posted by pilotmike View Post
    Here's an article from the Wired magazine web site. It doesn't have full results and it doesn't mention the CC that entered this year, but it does mention Paul Claus and his performance in the CC last year.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2011/05...ow-can-you-go/

By the way... the guy who had the CC this year is from Gig Harbor up by you IslandPilot.

Quote Originally Posted by Island Pilot View Post
    Don't know if any of you get up to the islands but on July 23rd I believe, Friday Harbor Airport (KFHR) will have a fly-in and I've suggested they do a short take off/landing event.
    Not sure if I'll be able to make it but put it on the calendar...

Pete D.

Hope you can Pete...great food too!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    Not sure if I'll be able to make it but put it on the calendar...

Pete D.