Thread: EX Airfoil Modification

Default EX Airfoil Modification

Just wondering if cubcrafters would assist and support an airfoil modification to the EX kit using the Riblett 30-413.5 airfoil (Bearhawk Patrol)? My purpose is to gain greater speed with the EX than what is currently available. Any thoughts pro and con?

BillW

The Villages, FL (06FD, Grass Roots Airpark)

Default Re: EX Airfoil Modification

I, of course, am not an official CubCrafters guy - I am a way off in the corner guy as part of the sales structure. I can just imagine what the meeting would be like when CubCrafters discusses this intriguing idea.

The pilot guy thinks it might be pretty cool.

The engineering guy says that 3 major changes and 112 minor changes would have to be made and it could be done in 2-3 yrs not counting flight test.

The finance guy says it will cost $7.35 million - can't do it.

The legal guy says "no chance in hell".

All of the above is conjecture on my part but since I am a pilot guy, I find the idea somewhat intriguing. It might just be easier to take a foot off of each wing with the airfoil you have. Good luck.

John

My first thought was "how fast do you want to go?" The CC EX will already cruise right at red line as is if propped right, and still beat 99.9% of the "STOL" aircraft out there off the ground.....

Why would Cub Crafters want to do the change it works great just the way it is. If you want to experiment just buy the fuselage kit and put whatever wings you want on it
    Just my opinion
    EV

I am not asking Cubcrafters to change their core business , but rather to explore and evaluate a potential modification on a customer's EX (Experimental) kit. You mentioned that it is an intriguing idea. So do I, so that is why I want to discuss it. Thanks for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    I, of course, am not an official CubCrafters guy - I am a way off in the corner guy as part of the sales structure. I can just imagine what the meeting would be like when CubCrafters discusses this intriguing idea.

The pilot guy thinks it might be pretty cool.

The engineering guy says that 3 major changes and 112 minor changes would have to be made and it could be done in 2-3 yrs not counting flight test.

The finance guy says it will cost $7.35 million - can't do it.

The legal guy says "no chance in hell".

All of the above is conjecture on my part but since I am a pilot guy, I find the idea somewhat intriguing. It might just be easier to take a foot off of each wing with the airfoil you have. Good luck.

John

Well I thought the experimental category was to explore new ideas. Why not look at some of the ideas that are circulating around and look for opportunities to improve. Seems like to have your mind set on what works for you. By the way, congrats on finishing and starting another EX.

Quote Originally Posted by EVRoosevelt View Post
    Why would Cub Crafters want to do the change it works great just the way it is. If you want to experiment just buy the fuselage kit and put whatever wings you want on it
    Just my opinion
    EV

I am not a airplane designer so I do not claim to know much about what can or cannot be done with the EX SuperCub; however, I find it fascinating that designers like Bob Barrows (bearhawk patrol) is carving out a unique niche in the market with a "supercub" that primarily has a different airfoil. He claims cruise is 140 MPH with landing speeds of 35 MPH.

I prefer the craftsmanship of Cubcrafters and was wondering if a similar airfoil could be designed and built for the EX without interrupting your business. Also, I do not want to max out on engine RPM just to reach those numbers. A simple change to the airfoil to the EX. Is that possible, and would Cubcrafters provide technical assistance if I decided to pursue this option?

BillW

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    My first thought was "how fast do you want to go?" The CC EX will already cruise right at red line as is if propped right, and still beat 99.9% of the "STOL" aircraft out there off the ground.....

That would be a question for someone above my pay grade ;-)

Pete D.

Late to the party but I'll add my 2 cents. The Mod I'd like to see someone do on a carbon cub
    is to add a set of wayne mackeys leading edge slats. that would put a grin on my face.

Quote Originally Posted by Ndill View Post
    Late to the party but I'll add my 2 cents. The Mod I'd like to see someone do on a carbon cub
    is to add a set of wayne mackeys leading edge slats. that would put a grin on my face.
    I don't see where Mackey is getting the stall speeds they advertise or, at least, talk about, except by dropping out of the sky (his landing technique).

Are Slats really better than Vortex Generators?