Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Auto-pilot options

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Auto-pilot options

I completely understand why they put the factory specs the TruTrack for the SS. They need something reliable, and and I am in no way saying it's not top quality.

However, this is an experimental version, so I am thinking about experimenting, and saving some money at the same time.

Has anyone considered other options such as driving Dynon servos from the D180 or maybe the Dynon SkyView?

Does anyone have the specs for the TruTrack servos to see if the Dynon has an equivalent size, control force, arm length, etc.?

Default Re: Auto-pilot options

We have done I think three or four Dynon AP installs, some with just the D180, some with a D180 and AP74. The first one was removed and replaced with a Tru Trak. Dynon worked hard on tweaking their software, and the AP now works better than in that original install, though the Tru Trak still works better.

I would recommend using the AP74 if you do go with they Dynon AP, as it gives a much better interface than just the soft keys at the bottom of the D180 and gives you a knob that can also be used to set barometric pressure and some other things.

There are some neat features in the Dynon AP that the Tru Trak does not have, but it just isn't quite as good at controlling a Cub type plane, due mainly to the adverse yaw. It tends to be not quite as precise and sometimes may wallow a bit more. I do like the interface a little better though.

Pete D.

Pete,
    That is very encouraging. I understand they keep improving with software updates.

Dynon has three models of their servo SV32/42/52 along with a combination of 3 arms. Do you recall which was installed?

What did you do for a mounting bracket?

Thanks,
    Tony

Autopilots seem to have a hard time flying the Cub type planes. They often will work great in an RV or other faster aircraft but will tend to wallow pretty badly in a Cub due in large part to the adverse yaw. No rudder input, so it ends up chasing itself around. The Dynon was particularly bad at this, though they have improved quite a bit, its still not quite as good as the Tru Trak.

When someone says an AP works great, you have to ask if it is the same kind of plane. Otherwise, you aren't comparing apples to apples.

Pete D.

Sorry for the delay, I must have viewed this but not replied the first time because it wasn't showing up under my "what's new" tab.

SV42s both for pitch and roll. Standard arm on roll, capstan for pitch.

Custom fabricated mounting brackets. We have only done a couple of them.

Give me a call if you would like details.

Pete D.

Sorry,it took me a while to get time to put this together. This is what I had in mind for my panel:

Panel.jpg

Dumb question #1: Does a remote Bluetooth GPS/XM receiver for the iPad would obsolete the need for a GDU375 in the Carbon Cub?

Quote Originally Posted by ZEBRA1ZULU View Post
    Dumb question #1: Does a remote Bluetooth GPS/XM receiver for the iPad would obsolete the need for a GDU375 in the Carbon Cub?
    In theory, yes.
    Randy Lervold

I imagine the day is coming when the iPad will interface with plumbing, engine and attitude modules. There's got to be people working to make that happen.

Well, after a lot of scratching and rubbing our heads, I finally got the roll servo in. The servo sets much better " face up"than on it's side. Have to be VERY careful and make sure the servo does not over center!!! It could prove deadly !! Hope to get it wired this week. And put it to the big test ! Battery box fits fine, sooooo, here we go.
    Attached Images Attached Images