Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Auto-pilot options

Default Re: Auto-pilot options

I talked to Dynon RE weather last week and if I understand them correctly they do not have live weather-yet. Its in the cue, but I don't have a date yet on when it will come out. Most likely it will go into the Skyview via a serial port.

Pete D.

Many kudos to Cubcrafters for offering the new "MyPanel". From my POV; that solves the issues I had with the current panel offerings. BTW: if/when i purchase I'm inclined to install I-pad due to prolific number of software apps. THANK YOU CUBCRAFTERS!

Quote Originally Posted by ZEBRA1ZULU View Post
    Many kudos to Cubcrafters for offering the new "MyPanel". From my POV; that solves the issues I had with the current panel offerings. BTW: if/when i purchase I'm inclined to install I-pad due to prolific number of software apps. THANK YOU CUBCRAFTERS!
    Thanks for the note, glad you like it! I'll be curious to see what % of our planes go out with this panel once we have a year with it. I'm guessing it will be 20-25%.
    Randy Lervold

Dumb question #1: Does a remote Bluetooth GPS/XM receiver for the iPad would obsolete the need for a GDU375 in the Carbon Cub?

Quote Originally Posted by ZEBRA1ZULU View Post
    Dumb question #1: Does a remote Bluetooth GPS/XM receiver for the iPad would obsolete the need for a GDU375 in the Carbon Cub?
    In theory, yes.
    Randy Lervold

I imagine the day is coming when the iPad will interface with plumbing, engine and attitude modules. There's got to be people working to make that happen.

RanRan
    Re: Auto-pilot options
    I imagine the day is coming when the iPad will interface with plumbing, engine and attitude modules. There's got to be people working to make that happen.

http://www.trutrakflightsystems.com/products/iMonitorEMS.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieMXDI0Edo4

Last edited by Ben Redman; 11-02-2011 at 12:56 PM.
    Ben Redman, GM
    RARE Aircraft Ltd
    www.rareaircraft.com
    ben@rareaircraft.com
    507-331-8446

Ok, that's one very cool app. And it communicates wirelessly with a built-in Wi-Fi module. Technology...you've gotta love it.

Excerpt from the description of the app....
    "This App should be used in conjunction with a TruTrak EDM Module and a TS-83 Wi-Fi module, all made by TruTrak Flight Systems, Inc. These devices should be installed, up and running prior to launching this App.
    You can read more about the aforementioned devices at www.trutrakflightsystems.com

The purpose of iMonitor EMS is to offer you an easy-to-use back-up instrument, displaying essential engine data and informations about other components on your airplane directly on your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad. You will quickly realize that every action is very intuitive and easy to perform, even when flying in rough air."

Nice back-up for engine data.
    Last edited by Paul; 04-08-2012 at 10:05 PM.

Default Re: Auto-pilot options - Servo Size?

I'm early in a Dynon installation with auto pilot for my EX. Dynon has 3 sizes of servo - SV32@2lbs, SV42@3lbs and SV52@4lbs. Obviously one wants to use the lightest device which works well. Since the Carbon Cub is a light and relatively slow plane, it seems like the smallest servo could be the appropriate choice. But the recommended size for both pitch and roll is the SV42. Can someone tell me how this was determined?

Dynon also has a no charge servo exchange policy in case one needs to move to another size. This implies to me that servo selection may not be a completely objective process. Has anyone experimented with an SV32 or similar smaller size servo on a Carbon Cub?

Though the Carbon Cub is a slower airplane as turns it out it is rather challenging for an autopilot to control correctly. We worked closely with Dynon some time ago on a sample Skyview installation for one of our R&D planes -- it took quite a few tries with servos and software to get it to fly correctly, and of course we needed the torque from the larger servos.
    Randy Lervold