Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Auto-pilot options

Default Re: Auto-pilot options

Possibly. It is also wider. Anything is possible though. If you can talk the sales people into offering ot, we can build it....for a price ;-)

Pete D

http://www.mglavionics.com/html/xtreme.html
    Also you might want to look at the Mgl extreme mini efis. I know someone thats
    putting one in an RV he told me that they will soon have a software upgrade autopilot
    so all you have to do is plug in the servos like the dynon.

Autopilots seem to have a hard time flying the Cub type planes. They often will work great in an RV or other faster aircraft but will tend to wallow pretty badly in a Cub due in large part to the adverse yaw. No rudder input, so it ends up chasing itself around. The Dynon was particularly bad at this, though they have improved quite a bit, its still not quite as good as the Tru Trak.

When someone says an AP works great, you have to ask if it is the same kind of plane. Otherwise, you aren't comparing apples to apples.

Pete D.

Sorry,it took me a while to get time to put this together. This is what I had in mind for my panel:

Panel.jpg

Curious why you went with a Garmen gps in addition to the Skyview? Seems with a little tweeking you could put two 7"dynon screens in there and have a more symmetrical panel? I've flown planes with a single 7 skyview and it never quite seems like there is enough screen area to display what you want with out making every thing really small. With a second screen you would have much more area to work with.

Pete D

Pete,
    I thought about it, but was concerned with the Skyview mapping (flight planning and navigation - one of my top priorities for the panel). They just added waypoint planning in May, so it is getting better for sure. With the Garmin maps, I know what I get, and was just not sure with eliminating it. So I never intended to use the skyview for other than PFD/EMS/Weather when they get that going (Navworx support). Auto-pilot was a lower priority, hence going this route over the TruTrak for a much lower cost.

Maybe by the time I get to the panel, the Skyview will have improved to be comparible with the Garmin. It sure would give room at the bottom of the panel for a future GTN 650 or an extra comm. I'll draw it out tonight when I get back home, and see what it looks like. I'll post when done.

Tony

Pete,
    2 Skyview 700's really open up the view.

15XC Panel 2.jpg

You are absolutely correct on the GPS feature comparison, at least as far as I have seen. Garmin sets the bar pretty high when it comes to the features comparison. Pretty tough act to follow.

Pete D
    Last edited by Pete D; 09-26-2011 at 08:28 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    You are absolutely correct on the GPS feature comparison, at least as far as I have seen. Garmin sets the bar pretty high when it comes to the features comparison. Pretty though act to follow.

Pete D
    Garmin does a good job on their products. The X900 is a larger panel that looks perfect to me. Very expensive though.

I know I'm late to this party but I have been observing this thread with great interest since I have been kicking around the idea of building a Carbon Cub and I am unhappy with the current standard panel offerings, as nice as they are. Dumb question: Would this setup then have the capacity to display real time weather (and traffic w/ provided) w/o being ripped off by XmWeather monthly subscription?