Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help filling out AOPA Aircraft Information on Carbon Cub

Default Re: Need help filling out AOPA Aircraft Information on Carbon Cub

As far as ICAO and ATC are concerned any CC11 is filed as 'PA11'.
    Jeff Jacobs
    Vancouver WA / KVUO
    C-172N-180

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    So would PA-18 be the most accurate to use for the CC11-160?
    So, where does this come into play......as found in http://www.icao.int/anb/ais/8643/Foreword_english.pdf

Description of Aircraft Type
    Three characters will be used to compose the description of aircraft type:
    First character:
    L
    landplane

S
    seaplane

A
    amphibian

H
    helicopter

G
    gyrocopter

T
    tilt-wing aircraft

Note.— A floatplane, which can temporarily be converted to a landplane or vice versa, will not be listed as a seaplane or
    amphibian, but as a landplane.
    Second character:
    1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8 or C,
    — number of engines

Note.— Character C is applicable to fixed-wing aircraft only and indicates that two engines are coupled to drive a single
    propeller system.
    Third character:
    P
    piston engine

T
    turboprop/turboshaft engine

J
    jet engine

E
    electric engine
    0-7E

Example:
    L2T — a landplane with two turboprop engines.

ACTION TO BE TAKEN BY STATES
    States are requested to take appropriate action, i.e.:
    a) to advise aircraft manufacturers of the purpose of the
    Aircraft Type Designators and to request their cooperation in
    its development and its implementation by applying the principles on which it is based when assigning such
    designators;
    b) in order to keep the document up to date provide ICAO annually, if possible on an electronic file, with the following
    information from their aircraft registers:
    — aircraft registration;
    — manufacturer, type and model number;
    — manufacturer’s serial or construction number; and
    — expiration date of the Certificate of Airworthiness or permit/authorization to fly;
    c) to request their military departments to agree to the use of a civil designator for those aircraft types which are

employed in both civil and military operations.

This issue ticks me off. We should be called what we are.
    I sent an email to the FAA and here is the reply.

Bill...

I have received your question and am trying to find an answer for you. It may come down to waiting for the EAA/FAA initiative concerning increasing the number of aircraft ID types to come to fruition (a painfully slow process) or just calling yourself a PA-12 or a PA-18 (whichever model is closer) to trick the computer into accepting your flight plan. In remarks you could then put the CubCrafter c11-160 in remarks.. I spoke with some CubCrafter owners here locally in the DC area (where they are required to file every time they leave the ground due to the special rules in place around Washington), These owners report to me that they just go the PA-12/18 route. In reality all ATC cares about is your speed.

Thats not the best answer I know, and does not let you share the real type of that beautiful airplane, (like calling your BMW a VW to trick some silly highway rule) but its the best I have for right now. I will continue to seek an answer for you in the mean time.

And, just so you know, you're not alone in this. Everyone I talked with so far, from owners, the EAA, the CC factory people, and even some in Flight Standards would like to know the answer. The best I have at the moment is that the EAA did partner with the FAA about a year ago to work this issue. I am waiting to hear where that effort stands.

Hang in there Bill, the tower guy cant tell your CC from a tri-pacer anyway. Not the answer you want, but I'll try and get you one.

Regards

Bill Moriarty
    Flight Service Safety and Operations
    202-356-3792
    william.j.moriarty@faa.gov

Quote Originally Posted by seastar View Post
    Hang in there Bill, the tower guy cant tell your CC from a tri-pacer anyway. Not the answer you want, but I'll try and get you one.
    At my local airport I think the controller wants to know if you are a CC because the takeoff and landing performance is so different from other Cubs. When traffic is heavy the CC can save a lot of time sequencing traffic.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

The Villages, FL (06FD, Grass Roots Airpark)

I also have experienced the same lack of recognition from controllers. When they ask for my aircraft type, I just tell them what type it is and that it isn't on their list so don't bother looking for it. Somehow they figure something out and life goes on.

I also use the opportunity for the radio communication to be free advertising by using CarbonCub and SportCub in the call sign ALL of the time. My friendly local guys in Leesburg, FL no longer refer to my airplane as a Piper Cub.

We work hard to distinguish ourselves in the airplane market place so I am not going surrender our identity for their convenience. If I get annoyed enough, I just might have to turn off the radio. (The wings don't fold up contrary to popular belief)

JM

I do the same thing on the radio, never hurts for people to hear the cc name, free advertising!

I agree re the comments when flying or filing domestically but a heads up if you go international like to the Bahamas which we have several times in the CC make sure to only use PA-18 or a model they know within the FAA and Customs sytem as the hassle factor is huge as one can only know by experinece. They almost scrambled an interceptor on us and I have been filing and flying the Bahamas for over 35 years now and learned not to try to correct a broken system by being accurate in the model description. Best Gary

For tower communications...I have always just used "cub". Always worked. R