Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trim Position Indicator

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Trim Position Indicator

I'm wondering if anyone has installed or figured out what type of trim position indicator system or lights could work on our Carbon Cubs. Any input would be greatly appreciated....thanks.

Default Re: Trim Position Indicator

We have done one, it had a sending unit in the tail and displayed on the EMS portion of the Dynon D180.

Pete D

Actually, the reason I brought this up is my weight/flight load changes often between flights.

Sometimes I've got a 250 lb guy in the back with empty tanks, or with sometimes with full tanks or other times no one with 1/2 full tanks and everything in between, as you can imagine.

I guess if nothing changes, it's not an issue... but for me, weight /load shifts changes happen - usually because everyone wants a ride and my fuel load is always different! Because I've got the 29" ABW's and the 3x3 gear, I'm a bit nose heavy when I'm empty so that's part of the issue too I guess.

It's all good - and like you said, the sensor weight or the space that indicator lights take up isn't an issue so accuracy or reference is best, for me anyway.

Fella's thanks for all the feedback.

The sensor is fairly easy to retrofit, the hardest part is usually getting wires strung from the front to the back end.

Both the Dynon AP and the Tru Trak AP in the Carbon Cub have indicators that "ask" for nose up/dn trim when needed. The only time the trim needs to be changed is when transitioning from climb/level/descent.

I believe Tru Trak has a different model of AP that will auto trim, but I could be wrong on that one.

Pete D

I land with with a lot of nose down trim and like to take off with slightly nose down trim from neutral then trim nose up on climb. Sometimes especially from the back seat since I can't reach the trim switch I don't even bother having the passenger/student change the trim and just fly it, land and takeoff with the same setting.

Cruising, I set it wings level and use power settings afterwards.

At least the trim is very effective comparing to a J4 I flew today ( FUN!) the trim on it was very nominal in response in comparison to my S1.
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

Has anyone flying the Dynon Skyview Touch figured out a way to setup a elevator trim position indicator on the Skyview panel?
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

Thanks Pete - I've got a very basic panel (no Dynon) so I'm looking for something pretty simple...any other suggestions?

Lightbulb Re: Trim Position Indicator

This basic stand alone indicator from a trim motor mfr. might work: //www.rayallencompany.com/products/indsens.html

Will M.

Fantastic Will...thanks very much! Exactly what I had in mind. Seems like a light, functional, and well priced product.

Don't know about you but I like grip on my stick, so to speak, and they've got a nice selection of those as well - and what seems like pretty good prices too.

Again, thanks.

Oh, and welcome to the forums Sal. I had a great time getting your plane home to you and look forward to meeting you face to face sometime.

Pete D.