Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trim Position Indicator

Default Re: Trim Position Indicator

As EFIS (for the experimental fleet) development matures, Auto-Pilots controlled by them will be reading attitude and trim position (and other things) and adjusting both for the smoothest flying. A trim position sensor will be essential for getting the most out of any installed auto-pilot - if not now, then certainly in the near future.

I don't know if the sensor is an easy retro-fit on these planes. Pete?

The sensor is fairly easy to retrofit, the hardest part is usually getting wires strung from the front to the back end.

Both the Dynon AP and the Tru Trak AP in the Carbon Cub have indicators that "ask" for nose up/dn trim when needed. The only time the trim needs to be changed is when transitioning from climb/level/descent.

I believe Tru Trak has a different model of AP that will auto trim, but I could be wrong on that one.

Pete D

Has anyone flying the Dynon Skyview Touch figured out a way to setup a elevator trim position indicator on the Skyview panel?
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

I believe CCS has put in a few Skyview/Skyview Touch panels with trim indication. You can use the same sending unit as the G3X installation and I'm pretty sure the wiring is in the Skyview installation manual.

Look up "Trim and Flaps Position Potentiometers" in the Skyview installation manual, that should get you started. You'll need 3 wires, +5v power, ground and signal all coming from the Skyview harness. The +5v power may need to be split off as it is also used for Kavlico sensors like oil pressure, MAP etc (if you have a later installation with Kavlico sensors)
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Thanks Pete, I'll look into it.
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

[QUOTE=Pete D;22399]I believe CCS has put in a few Skyview/Skyview Touch panels with trim indication. You can use the same sending unit as the G3X installation and I'm pretty sure the wiring is in the Skyview installation manual.

Pete, could you tell me what sending unit Cubcrafters use?, I couldn't find anything on the Garmin site, I assumed it was a Garmin sending unit.
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA