Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trim Position Indicator

Default Re: Trim Position Indicator

Quote Originally Posted by EVRoosevelt View Post
    I agree, in fact on preflight the trim is never very far away from the decal limits so I just use the same trim as what I landed with and it works fine.
    EV
    I guess I don't get that. Isn't it better to be neutral on every landing/take off - just for constituency's sake?

A trim position sensor doesn't weigh beans - and some of the EFIS/Auto Pilot systems can adjust trim as long as they can sense trim position. (Less work on the servos)

Actually, the reason I brought this up is my weight/flight load changes often between flights.

Sometimes I've got a 250 lb guy in the back with empty tanks, or with sometimes with full tanks or other times no one with 1/2 full tanks and everything in between, as you can imagine.

I guess if nothing changes, it's not an issue... but for me, weight /load shifts changes happen - usually because everyone wants a ride and my fuel load is always different! Because I've got the 29" ABW's and the 3x3 gear, I'm a bit nose heavy when I'm empty so that's part of the issue too I guess.

It's all good - and like you said, the sensor weight or the space that indicator lights take up isn't an issue so accuracy or reference is best, for me anyway.

Fella's thanks for all the feedback.

I land with with a lot of nose down trim and like to take off with slightly nose down trim from neutral then trim nose up on climb. Sometimes especially from the back seat since I can't reach the trim switch I don't even bother having the passenger/student change the trim and just fly it, land and takeoff with the same setting.

Cruising, I set it wings level and use power settings afterwards.

At least the trim is very effective comparing to a J4 I flew today ( FUN!) the trim on it was very nominal in response in comparison to my S1.
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

What's the matter with just looking back at the empennage and aligning the horizontal stabilizer with the elevator horn? No known failure mode, and it weighs nothing.
    Randy Lervold

A trim indicator is not necessary.
    I just use what ever and it works.
    Bill

Jon Bliss from CubCrafters told me a way to check your trim, if you would put the trim in the take off position and then put a mark on the elevator cable at the bottom of the front stick you only have to look at the mark on the cable to know if it is in the take off position.
    EV

Quote Originally Posted by EVRoosevelt View Post
    Jon Bliss from CubCrafters told me a way to check your trim, if you would put the trim in the take off position and then put a mark on the elevator cable at the bottom of the front stick you only have to look at the mark on the cable to know if it is in the take off position.
    EV
    That's a eloquent solution. One of the thousand and one uses for nail polish. ;-)

Wink Re: Trim Position Indicator

+++A1 on the nail polish!

Maybe I am doing something wrong but I have found that no matter what load I had on the previous flight my trim is always darn near neutral as I start the takeoff roll for the next flight even if I forget to check it. If not neutral and I forget to check it, trim is close enough that it is a none event to take off with it not in a neutral setting.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

I couldn't agree more Bob.
    I do think I will steal a bit of fingernail polish from my wife.
    Just because it's so elegant a solution.
    Cubcrafters should mark them.
    Bill