Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D180 Magnetometer mounting

Default D180 Magnetometer mounting

Does the Dynon D180 have the magnetometer mounted in the right wingtip? I noticed that the strobe and direction lights are grounded to the spar. Wouldn't there be less of a chance of interference if the ground is ran back to the fuselage ground bar?

Thanks,
    Tony

Default Re: D180 Magnetometer mounting

On the factory planes the magnetometer is in the left wing about 18" out from the inboard end just forward of the flap.

Using the airframe as ground for local appliances is common practice. Running ground wires back to a single-point ground would definitely add some weight in wiring, and of course we don't want to add any weight -- light is right!
    Randy Lervold

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    On the factory planes the magnetometer is in the left wing about 18" out from the inboard end just forward of the flap.

Using the airframe as ground for local appliances is common practice. Running ground wires back to a single-point ground would definitely add some weight in wiring, and of course we don't want to add any weight -- light is right!
    In other words, behind the fuel tank? Is there a cover plate to get at it? I'm assuming the Garmin magnetmeter would go there as well. Is that correct?

D180 Magnetometer is behind the fuel tank, yes. Aft of the rear spar, forward of the false spar. Its actually mounted to an access panel, so you removed the four screws holding the panel on and it drops down with the panel. Dynon's harness for the remote compass (I think they call it an EDC-10A or something like that) is a multi-conductor shielded wire.

The Garmin remote compass is considerably different in shape and mounting method, we haven't done one in a Carbon Cub. I believe they are much more picky about interference with that one, and it would need to be mounted further out in the wing away from the fuse.

Pete D.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    D180 Magnetometer is behind the fuel tank, yes. Aft of the rear spar, forward of the false spar. Its actually mounted to an access panel, so you removed the four screws holding the panel on and it drops down with the panel. Dynon's harness for the remote compass (I think they call it an EDC-10A or something like that) is a multi-conductor shielded wire.

The Garmin remote compass is considerably different in shape and mounting method, we haven't done one in a Carbon Cub. I believe they are much more picky about interference with that one, and it would need to be mounted further out in the wing away from the fuse.

Pete D.
    The Garmin compass fits into 'holder' that allows one to adjust the compass and possibly attitude by mechanical means - there's some adjustment electronically, but not much - it has to be installed very close to level and pointing within a magnetic degree. Maybe someone who has installed one can comment.

I have installed a Garmin remote compass but it wasn't in a Carbon Cub. We ended up putting it on the tip rib of the wing, under the fiberglass wing tip. It DID require shielded wires for the nav light, with the shield and ground grounded to the airframe, not the wing.

I just remember the Garmin instructions being pretty clear on where it can or cannot be installed, and the system self-tests. We tried it w/o changing the nav light wiring from stock and it wouldn't self test.

Pete D.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    I have installed a Garmin remote compass but it wasn't in a Carbon Cub. We ended up putting it on the tip rib of the wing, under the fiberglass wing tip. It DID require shielded wires for the nav light, with the shield and ground grounded to the airframe, not the wing.

I just remember the Garmin instructions being pretty clear on where it can or cannot be installed, and the system self-tests. We tried it w/o changing the nav light wiring from stock and it wouldn't self test.

Pete D.
    Yes, they make it apparent in the Garmin install manual that the instrument is very, very sensitive to electro-magnetic waves. Where do you think it could be mounted in a Carbon or Sport Cub? (A wing tip mount cannot be ideal)

I think I would mount it about halfway to 2/3 out in the right wing (opposite wing that has the landing light) to the front of the rear spar with an inspection panel or two. I'm not positive, but even with LED lights you might have to shield the wires for the nav/strobe in that wing.

Pete D

Thanks Pete, and RanRan for keeping this going. I just started building, and this helps to make some decisions before I get to the avionics.

My area is well covered with TIS-B and FIS-B, and I would really like to put in something that will work with them. I really don't like paying XM any more of my money. The products are great, but just try to change something, like change receivers, and you will know what I mean.

I'm thinking of making the GRT Sport one of the displays to use navworx for weather and traffic, with the G3X so that I have backup PFD. It is very close to the size of the D180. Any thoughts?

Tony

I am not very familiar at all with the Grand Rapids products.

If you did a two screen G3X I think you can build that with some redundancy, especially if you have an essential bus setup....

Dynon's Skyview is pretty neat too, not quite as many features as the Garmin products but improving.

I'd encourage you to find someone with any kind of airplane with similar products to what you are considering that you can maybe take a ride and see them in action. Most people like to share their experiences, good or bad, and nothing like talking to someone who has a few hours and or has installed a particular setup.

Pete D.