Thread: ~Breaks Flyin~ Winifred and Cow Creek Montana

Default ~Breaks Flyin~ Winifred and Cow Creek Montana

~Breaks Flyin ~ early part of "Bushwheel Awareness Week"-2011

The snow is finally melting; rivers/creeks are full of water and out of their banks in most places. Our normally dry Missouri Breaks landscape looks like a scene from the end of the last glacial period. It is going to be a green and great spring….time to start thinking of warm weather and flying cubs.

Last year Dave Kirsten called and we tied the Breaks Flyin and the Johnson Creek flyins together into a week of back-country exploration and visiting old friends called “Bushwheel Awareness Week ~ Missouri Breaks…to Johnson Creek”.

The Breaks end of Bushwheel Awareness Week will run 10 – 13 June: (JC starts on the 16th June)

For those who haven’t been here before: This is an informal flyin. We will help guide you into one of the “last great places” of N. America…virtually the last place along the Missouri that is as Lewis and Clark found it. There is a great deal of wildlife here; record class elk, mule deer, and big-horn sheep are taken each year by hunters and can be found from the air. We headquarter out of Winifred (9S7) which has a 4000’ sod strip, 100LL, a restaurant, small hotel, grocery store, and one paved street. Folks here are august and friendly and enjoy the flyin every year. We don’t have big raffle items, or a highly organized program…our job is to facilitate your enjoyment of a great wild place to fly and offer help in keeping you comfortable.

New for this year: The 6 breaks strips now have FAA identifiers; if your Garmin is updated, they should appear on screen and charts by this summer.

10 June:
    Arrival all afternoon … We will camp Cow Creek … meals on your own… or you can camp at the Winifred Hangar and gorge on one of the local two-handed hamburgers.

11 June:
    Morning: Breakfast at Lewistown (LWT), is ca. 25 miles S of Winifred and looks a bit like a town in a valley in the Alps. We fly between the Moccasin and Judith Mountains on approach. This is a combination flyin, pancake feed, and antique aircraft show.

Mid-day: Flying the Missouri Breaks and landing the backcountry strips on your own.

Evening: Cow Creek Bar-B-Que. We will be camping at Cow Creek (CW0). “TheCubWorks.com” is providing Bar-B-Que, salad, bread, fruit salad. All you need is an appetite and something to drink… Cow Creek is a dry camp. It is on a beautiful butte overlooking some of the wildest of lands in the Breaks.

12 June:
    Morning: Breakfast on your own: Flyouts to Breaks strips; overflights of C M Russell Wildlife Refuge, Ft. Peck Reservoir, Missouri River, other local sights… on your own.

Mid-day: Move camp to the Winifred Hangar.

Evening: Hangar-burgers and fixins by the plate…and adult malted beverages for those who are through flying for the day.

13 June: ~Departure for Johnson Creek or home via various backcountry strips and fishing-holes in Montana and Idaho~.

It would be great to get more Sport Cubs and Carbon Cubs here this year. Hopefully the weather will allow travel over the mountains unlike last year.

Feel free to call. I look forward to seeing you all. Ralph 406 462 5487

Thumbs up Re: ~Breaks Flyin~ Winifred and Cow Creek Montana

I would like to jump on Ralphs shirt tails here and invite all cubcrafters owners to join in and participate in this years Johnson creek supercub.org flyin. This event is the largest supercub based flying event in the western united states and is based right in the middle of the famous Idaho backcountry flying Mecca. last year over 115 aircraft attended!! On behalf of HORSEFLY AVIATION, the cubcrafters dealer for Idaho/Nevada I would like to invite all cubcrafters owners/pilots to attend this outstanding event. Details of this event can be seen on supercub.org or feel free to contact me directly. Cubcrafters is a major sponsor of the event . This is a great chance to check out the Idaho back country with a few(115) of your fellow low and slow type pilots . please consider putting this event on your list of summer must dos. regards, Royce Anderson

Default Re: ~Breaks Flyin~ Winifred and Cow Creek Montana

Breaks Flyin poster for 2011: Really ready for summer!! Ralph

Breaks Flyin Poster 2011JPG.jpg

Looks like a fantastic event!

WX forecast is for rain again tomorrow (Thursday) with improving conditions Friday through the weekend (wind is not forecast to be a factor through the period). In the interest if dry tenting, we will gather here at the hangar and consider staying in or near the hangar/lounge Friday. On Saturday morning we can go to the Lewistown flyin for breakfast, then investigate camping in the Breaks Saturday night if we can find dry spaces. I have discovered that the strips dry out fast while the camping areas stay wet in the tall grass. For those showing up Friday night we will have light dinner stuff on the grill between 6:00 and 7:30ish. More tomorrow....fly safely and enjoy the scenery....it is spectacular and you will be seeing Montana rivers at the peak of 100 year flood stage. Melissa and I look forward to seeing you. Ralph
    Ralph Rogers
    Owner: TheCubWorks
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.

Have fun! I look forward to some pictures and PIREPs! Maybe next year I'll make it out.