Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S1/S2 minium takeoff speed?

Default Re: S1/S2 minium takeoff speed?

You have to go out and try it. We're all doing essentially the same thing to varying degrees of intensity. Full power, full forward stick, accelerate, flaps extend, rotate, flaps retract. I know guys talk bout using the force of putting the tail back onto the surface to sort of "spring" the aircraft aloft, but I can't buy into it. But then I also don't fly these airplanes daily with my livelihood depending on it. Email Claus and get it straight from the expert...he's a nice fellow, I'm sure he would respond. And I would be happy to eat crow.
    Last edited by Clay Hammond; 02-23-2011 at 03:00 PM. Reason: I spelled Paul Claus' name wrong.

OK, I emailed Paul Claus - it is with a 'c' not a 'k'. Let's hope he has a little free time to spend with us. I wouldn't fault him if he doesn't. He's got to be a very busy guy.

Meanwhile, we could talk about kinetic energy - I do think that provides the unseen edge. A glider pilot, for example, 'buys' energy via thermals (or a pull), etc. and then 'spends' it gliding down. When he's stopped on the ground - it's all gone. But the point is - what you put in - you will get back.
    Last edited by RanRan; 02-23-2011 at 03:27 PM.

"I just watched George's video - see the difference? George stayed in the 3-point through-out - i.e., he kept the tail pushed down. "

Actually stick was neutral with no weight on Tailwheel (important) 3 pt attitude (as clay said) and as soon as tail gets light I popped the flaps and stick back. Timing is everything as if you do it too soon you drag and if you wait to long you gave up some ground.

I have to wring the performance out of my S1 whereas the Carbon is all about brute HP, notice the difference in climb out between 7AK and Clay's Carbon where I am barely hanging on in ground effect the carbon is elavatoring ( invented new word for the carbon) immediately!

Here is the orginal carbon bouncing the tailwheel on liftoff at Buena outside Yakima a few years ago.

Its all good!
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

Elavatoring??

I emailed your English teacher and she's getting the ruler out.

George, true neutral is still tail down in 3-point - same angle as the prop. The wings, however... Like any good balanced aircraft, the plane will leave the ground without any human input.
    Last edited by RanRan; 02-23-2011 at 04:54 PM.

The sort of guy Paul Claus is: This is email back from his wife: (I x'ed out his cell or hangar phone)

Randall,

I am sure Paul will join in when he can. At the moment he is with our mechanic doing annuals of three
    planes and getting the turbine off the Otter for it's hot section. They are at our hangar with no internet.
    His phone is xxx-xxx-xxxx if you want to call him and ask. I am sure he wouldn't mind.

Donna Claus
    What wonderful people!!!!!!!!!!

And, no, I am not going to interrupt him from his work for our 'curiosity'. We can wait.
    Last edited by RanRan; 02-23-2011 at 04:47 PM.

Told ya I invent a new word just for the carbon cub! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan View Post
    Elavatoring??

I emailed your English teacher and she's getting the ruler out.

George, true neutral is still tail down in 3-point - same angle as the prop. The wings, however... Like any good balanced aircraft, the plane will leave the ground without any human input.
    True Neutral is taildown in three point pitch attitude however weight is off the tailwheel so no drag from the tailwheel.

Heck, I am still a newbee what the heck do I know!!... all I know is how to have a blast cubdriving and love every minute of it! I have my own learning curve but I am sure whatever I am doing its been done before! I do enjoy sharing the passion with other people sharing what my version of "on the edge" is.

This thread has turned out to be productive and educational.. lets keep the thoughts going!

Be in YKm next week for the dealer summit...leaving the sunny poolside for the snow shovel...

Here is one of Clay in a sport cub at the NWSC a few years ago:

Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

Quote Originally Posted by couleeone View Post
    Heck, I am still a newbee what the heck do I know!!...
    You know plenty! Forums live or die by participation. That's the long and short of it - call it human physics. There's 600 people on this forum and they are ALL speechless? I don't believe that. But where are they?

Ran