Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust residue on new 3x3 cross struts

Default Exhaust residue on new 3x3 cross struts

After about 20 hours of use I am accumulating a grey residue on the cross struts - have the new 3x3 gear.

It's not black greasy residue - it is a very light grey, almost ash colored ; I run lean as temps will permit

Anyone else experiencing this residue? Would an extension to the exhaust stack be the solution?

Ed Smith
    Carbon Cub N844ES

Senior Member Warren Aircraft LLC's Avatar

Default Re: Exhaust residue on new 3x3 cross struts

Hi Ed,

That is normal and should wipe off easy.. Ill let the factory address the exhaust extension question..

Are you having fun with N844ES?

Not sure of forum protocol - this was my first inquiry so pardon the format. Yes the cub is great fun - just wish I had more time to fly; work keeps getting in the way. working to get a hanger built at the new local airport (T37) which will cut the commute and increase flying time.

Used the cub once for my Dallas commute - got a lot of attention on the Jet Center ramp. Interesing discussion with tower on departure. I requested an intersection takeoff; tower said " there is only 900 ft of runway from that intersection. I told them that was about 800 more than I needed an, once cleared, demonstrated that.

The aircraft itself is noisy in flight even with bose's. After a 1+ hour flight I had to have the line guys yell for me to hear (after shutdown). Send the boseX's in for service and new ear cups and will try that again - could have been the headset. Cross country travel at altitude isn't as much fun as sightseeing. Need to work on my 3pts on hard surfaces. On grass I am OK and wheel landings on pavement are also OK. Will be ready for my first oil change in a few weeks; the local mechanics are up for trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Aircraft LLC View Post
    Hi Ed,

That is normal and should wipe off easy.. Ill let the factory address the exhaust extension question..

Are you having fun with N844ES?

Hi Ed,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for joining in! This is the place to compare notes with other owners and share your experiences. In terms of protocol, this is the place to discuss any and all issues related to your Carbon Cub and exhaust on the cabane V is certainly one of them. In terms of 'protocol' or 'rules', here's the scoop...
    Forum posting rules
    Please note that this is a moderated forum with a simple set of rules... language and tone that would be inappropriate in the polite company of strangers shouldn't be used. It's pretty simple, express whatever opinion you like, just don't engage in any personal attacks. Yes, the moderators can edit or delete any inappropriate posts, but please be assured that they have NO interest in doing that unless you're posting something really inappropriate.
    As Admin for the forums I reserve the right to delete anything offensive or personal, but I will never censor or delete anyone's opinion, even if it is negative toward our products, so long as it isn't offensive or inaccurate. That's the only way these forums will be credible and I am absolutely committed to it. I am pleased to report that I have not deleted a single post yet and hope I never have to.

Now, on the exhaust residue. Yep, there's really no good way to route the exhaust to prevent it, we've tried. An extension would not be a good idea because it would increase the weight, increase the load on the rest of the system possibly leading to cracking or failure, and change the flow characteristics, likely in a negative way.

Unfortunately we're stuck living with it and getting down there every few flights to clean it. Personally, I like to use WD40 on a shop rag or paper towel. Don't let it get too dirty or it can become difficult to clean, if you stay on top it then it cleans right up with minimal effort.

Welcome aboard and we'd all love to hear more about life with your Carbon Cub, and of course stories and pics of the places you fly are especially interesting.
    Randy Lervold

Hello Ed,
    I now have over 35 hrs. on my airplane, and I have found that Dawn dish soap and water works well for me. I have included a snapshot of the gear strut attach point. Note that the reflection of the bolt heads can be seen on the cuff end covers. As Randy has noted, keep'n up is easier than cetch'n up

Carbon Cub 015.jpg.Carbon Cub 016.jpg
    Jim McCabe
    Carbon Cub SS #153

I discovered a product while fighting exhaust stains on a white King Air. RejeX is the stuff and it works well. I was told it was originally developed for this type of application. Its a wax like product that you apply once an area is perfectly clean.
    The key is to use it as directed and let it set up for twelve hours. Once the paint is treated you have the ability to wipe exhaust stains off with a cloth. I've been using it on the bottom side of our show planes for years.

The Villages, FL (06FD, Grass Roots Airpark)

RejeX has been around in the RV world for many years as well. The suggested use was for the front cap to make it easier to clean the bugs off after plowing through the air on a trip.

No reason why Rejex couldn't be applied to the leading edges, too so as to be easier to debug later.

John

A lot of what you are seeing is a mixture of oil and lead - remember avgas has 5 times the amount of lead that mogas used to have. Wear gloves...and don't pick your teeth. ;-)

How about the polished struts? Has anyone used Rejex or is there a better product for the polished aluminium?

Quote Originally Posted by pwill435 View Post
    How about the polished struts? Has anyone used Rejex or is there a better product for the polished aluminium?
    I used Rejex for many years on a Meridian turboprop. My original purpose was to make it easier to remove exhaust stains,which it did very well. In the process, I found it also made it much easier to remove the bugs that committed suicide in order to mess up the leading edges. I used it on leading edge paint and on the polished aluminum spinner. It worked very well on both. Rejex won't polish the aluminum, but it won't diminish the shine you get with other products. Application is so effortless I would recommend it as the final step after you get the shine you want.

Having stepped up from a Meridian to a Carbon Cub, I now use it on all the leading edges of the CC. After every flight it is trivial to wipe the bugs off with a dampened cloth.

Carl