Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust residue on new 3x3 cross struts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Exhaust residue on new 3x3 cross struts

After about 20 hours of use I am accumulating a grey residue on the cross struts - have the new 3x3 gear.

It's not black greasy residue - it is a very light grey, almost ash colored ; I run lean as temps will permit

Anyone else experiencing this residue? Would an extension to the exhaust stack be the solution?

Ed Smith
    Carbon Cub N844ES

Senior Member Warren Aircraft LLC's Avatar

Default Re: Exhaust residue on new 3x3 cross struts

Hi Ed,

That is normal and should wipe off easy.. Ill let the factory address the exhaust extension question..

Are you having fun with N844ES?

Not sure of forum protocol - this was my first inquiry so pardon the format. Yes the cub is great fun - just wish I had more time to fly; work keeps getting in the way. working to get a hanger built at the new local airport (T37) which will cut the commute and increase flying time.

Used the cub once for my Dallas commute - got a lot of attention on the Jet Center ramp. Interesing discussion with tower on departure. I requested an intersection takeoff; tower said " there is only 900 ft of runway from that intersection. I told them that was about 800 more than I needed an, once cleared, demonstrated that.

The aircraft itself is noisy in flight even with bose's. After a 1+ hour flight I had to have the line guys yell for me to hear (after shutdown). Send the boseX's in for service and new ear cups and will try that again - could have been the headset. Cross country travel at altitude isn't as much fun as sightseeing. Need to work on my 3pts on hard surfaces. On grass I am OK and wheel landings on pavement are also OK. Will be ready for my first oil change in a few weeks; the local mechanics are up for trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Aircraft LLC View Post
    Hi Ed,

That is normal and should wipe off easy.. Ill let the factory address the exhaust extension question..

Are you having fun with N844ES?

Hi Ed,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for joining in! This is the place to compare notes with other owners and share your experiences. In terms of protocol, this is the place to discuss any and all issues related to your Carbon Cub and exhaust on the cabane V is certainly one of them. In terms of 'protocol' or 'rules', here's the scoop...
    Forum posting rules
    Please note that this is a moderated forum with a simple set of rules... language and tone that would be inappropriate in the polite company of strangers shouldn't be used. It's pretty simple, express whatever opinion you like, just don't engage in any personal attacks. Yes, the moderators can edit or delete any inappropriate posts, but please be assured that they have NO interest in doing that unless you're posting something really inappropriate.
    As Admin for the forums I reserve the right to delete anything offensive or personal, but I will never censor or delete anyone's opinion, even if it is negative toward our products, so long as it isn't offensive or inaccurate. That's the only way these forums will be credible and I am absolutely committed to it. I am pleased to report that I have not deleted a single post yet and hope I never have to.

Now, on the exhaust residue. Yep, there's really no good way to route the exhaust to prevent it, we've tried. An extension would not be a good idea because it would increase the weight, increase the load on the rest of the system possibly leading to cracking or failure, and change the flow characteristics, likely in a negative way.

Unfortunately we're stuck living with it and getting down there every few flights to clean it. Personally, I like to use WD40 on a shop rag or paper towel. Don't let it get too dirty or it can become difficult to clean, if you stay on top it then it cleans right up with minimal effort.

Welcome aboard and we'd all love to hear more about life with your Carbon Cub, and of course stories and pics of the places you fly are especially interesting.
    Randy Lervold

Pete,

On flat paint I would say not so much. You have to start out with at least a satin like finish for it to work well I would imagine. I've got it on the leading edges of the New Standard which is done up with Polytone. The finish is satin-like, but not so heavy that all of the weave is filled. It still works in that case.

Ditto from me re Rejex , It just works! Been using Rejex now for over 5 years and on first my S2, now my Carbon Cub and Stearman, with excellent reults. Best Gary

Quote Originally Posted by glickle View Post
    Ditto from me re Rejex , It just works! Been using Rejex now for over 5 years and on first my S2, now my Carbon Cub and Stearman, with excellent reults. Best Gary
    Gary
    Had been using rejex for I dont know how many years I guess 10+ First my Bertam to keep the soot off the transum, my 182/pa11 & S2. Opat gave me some ceramlock to try, it hands down smokes rejex.Next time you see Randy ask him for a little(i think he keeps it his back pocket) or stop by the house and Ill give you a little.You will give your rejex away (for the leading edges). I have had it on my S2 for about eight months now and you can wipe exhaust residue,love bugs,lead off with a paper towel.Rumor has it CC got some to test on one off there planes.I put it on my prop first then the gear and now I just did the whole cowl.Randy even wiped some on my new tires and they still look like he just did it.I not sure i spelled it right but they do have a web site. It is very impressive stuff!
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Springloaded View Post
    Gary
    Had been using rejex for I dont know how many years I guess 10+ First my Bertam to keep the soot off the transum, my 182/pa11 & S2. Opat gave me some ceramlock to try, it hands down smokes rejex.Next time you see Randy ask him for a little(i think he keeps it his back pocket) or stop by the house and Ill give you a little.You will give your rejex away (for the leading edges). I have had it on my S2 for about eight months now and you can wipe exhaust residue,love bugs,lead off with a paper towel.Rumor has it CC got some to test on one off there planes.I put it on my prop first then the gear and now I just did the whole cowl.Randy even wiped some on my new tires and they still look like he just did it.I not sure i spelled it right but they do have a web site. It is very impressive stuff!
    Chuck
    Do you know if it's silicone free?

Clay, what is your experience with Rejex and Polytone? Does it work as well on the flat paint? Some wax products don't work well there.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Hello Ed,
    I now have over 35 hrs. on my airplane, and I have found that Dawn dish soap and water works well for me. I have included a snapshot of the gear strut attach point. Note that the reflection of the bolt heads can be seen on the cuff end covers. As Randy has noted, keep'n up is easier than cetch'n up

Carbon Cub 015.jpg.Carbon Cub 016.jpg
    Jim McCabe
    Carbon Cub SS #153