Thread: Sport Pilot Program

Default Sport Pilot Program

Guys,
    I am looking for some help. I am a flight school manager that is looking to expand our Sport Pilot Program to the Cub S2. My biggest fear is students ground looping the aircraft. I have talked to several different people on this topic and have gotten mixed reviews. I have tail wheel time and this has never been a concern for me, but for LSA new students... any thoughts???

kyle

Default Re: Sport Pilot Program

Kyle,

Using a S2 for basic flight and Tailwheel training is an excellent choice. I own an early S1, #6 since new and have over 700 hrs on the tach. I achieved my sport pilot license and sport pilot CFI in my sport cub. I have yet to fly a nose gear airplane.

I believe it is a great trainer, I have 300 hours in the back seat now and have gotten into some unusual situations with students and I can tell you that the S2 is very forgiving and easy to bring back. The only time I got close to a ground loop was when I was first getting started instructing I had an high hour airline pilot and I was intimated and had faith in his ability...whoa did I learn from that and have never had that happen since.

I keep my feet near the pedals so they cannot depress the rudder pedals very far...as I tell them only squeeze the rudders. I do understand you have to give the student time to fix the problem and with the sport cub you can let that get out there aways before you have to take over.

So to answer your question is yes its a great trainer!!!

If I can help with any other questions feel free to post or PM me.

Geo
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

The Villages, FL (06FD, Grass Roots Airpark)

Kyle,

The S2 is an excellent trainer and there are many in training fleets around the country. I understand your concerns about ground looping but that is one of the challenges of training in a conventional gear airplane.

For you and I, ground loops are not a concern of ours now but they were at one time. Each of us learned much when we mastered the convential gear airplane. We are better pilots because of that experience. Your students will be better stick & rudder pilots if they learn to fly a tail wheel airplane. Build your training syllabus to minimize the ground loop risk as much as possible but realize you cannot eliminate it. It may take your students an hour or two longer to solo but they will finish the program likely in the allotted time with a high level of proficiency. Furthermore, their confidence level will be high and they are more likely to continue to fly. And all of us hope that happens.

The S2 is worthy of your consideration as a trainer. BTW, do you fly out of Waterbury-Oxford?

Regards,

John Moreland

Yes, our home base is Waterbury-Oxford (koxc). Thanks for the help...

The Villages, FL (06FD, Grass Roots Airpark)

Quote Originally Posted by flycapt2310 View Post
    Yes, our home base is Waterbury-Oxford (koxc). Thanks for the help...
    Kyle,

I lived in CT many years ago and based my airplane at OXC. Did some part time charter work with Executive Flight Svcs which is proably no longer around.

John

they are gone.

Your concern should be less with the airplane and more with the instructors. If they teach it right and stay on top of things there shan't much of an issue. The quality of the instruction is what is key to keeping students straight down the runway. In one of these SPORT CUBS you're able to touch down at something less than 40 and probably much closer to 30mph when done/taught right. Start em out slow and get their feet working. Work 'em up to the faster end of the wheel landings as their proactive/reflexive response to darting and side loading improves.
    Last edited by Clay Hammond; 02-20-2011 at 03:51 PM.