Thread: considering buying S2

Default considering buying S2

I was considering buying a S2, It seems every one i look at, our talk to someone,look at a log book, there is some issue with it,high oil temp,cracked exaust,destorted cowling.jury strut, i know off at least 4 got new cylinders (whats up with that),charging problems, I think somebody said something about a wire brace in the tail with brokin weld.Is there any out there that are not a maintance night mare our am I just happen to be hearing/ finding all the problem aircraft.I fly every day and dont want a hanger queen because of maintance.I went from being very exited about getting a NEWER cub to scared of getting somebodys problem.Is there any year that is worst than others. How is the factory support.I think i read 3/4 of all post last night seems to be some issues with them to.
    Thanks for your input
    Chuck

Default Re: considering buying S2

Chuck: Check here: http://www.thecubworks.com/Inventory.html I have been through all of this and would (do) take this aircraft anywhere. It is my personal aircraft and I have complete faith in it. Ralph Rogers

Hello Springloaded, welcome to the CC forum.

I own a early S1 serial number 6..N787AK. I have updated the exhaust to the hi-pro exhaust and changed the propeller to the SenSenich composite ground adjustable prop. I will have owned 7AK for 4 years in march and flown her over 700 hours tach time. I got my pilot license and CFI in this sport cub.

I fly her hard and to the edge but treat her very right with 100 hour inspections and constant vigilance! I sometimes break things because of the places I fly into, like the backcountry, beaches, sand and gravel bars, top of mesas, dirt strips and so on but that is why I own a sport cub so I can do those things as that is the kind of flying I love doing!

The cylinders or the engine has not given me any problems. The mags and the charging system issues were because I wasn't aware of the manufactured periodic check recommendations and I shared the info so other owners would be aware of the recommendations. When the composite ground adjustable prop first came out there was some issues with bolts breaking and hub vibrations. SenSenich has stood very tall and fixed and warranty the problems. Those problems no longer happen

As with any new product there are design improvements replacing older parts that needed upgrading. CubCrafters as always stood behind their products and have gone overboard with warranties and solving any individual issues. When you buy a CC product you are taken into the fold and treated like family by not only the CC factory but by other CC owners!

Another way of looking at it is the things you have read will be to your advantage as you will have confidence that those issues were resolved and are no longer a problem or a concern. When reviewing the logs you will know what to look for.

If you were to own an S2, what kind of flying were you planning on doing? What are your expectations from a S2?

If you have any questions about the sport cub feel free to email ( george@couleeairservices.com) me and I will I try answer them. It looks like you are located in Florida so you have a very good CC dealer available to you contact "Chip" below.

SWT Aviation
    John S. "Chip" Allen
    4343 Shallowford Rd.,Ste H-2
    Marietta, GA 30062
    770.364.1556 - cell
    770.998.2430 - fax
    info@swtaviation.com - email
    www.swtaviation.com - website

7AK at Ryan compressed.jpg
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

George
    I fly a very nice PA11 95hp I have had it 2 1/2yrs over 400hrs. I flew a S2 Fri. the performace is pretty much I same saw no great advantage there they both perform well, the room in the airplane is another story which is what i really like,30% of my landings is off airport. I cowling on the plane i flew looks like it is melted, they said they would put cowl flaps on it to fix it (what else got that hot in there), had somebody send me log books on 1 had cylinder issues,I know Gary Lickle told me he had to get new cylinders ,so i went to this forum to educate my self and after reading post became very discouraged.I work all day long, I go home just about everyday and fly. I have put over a 1000hrs on my 2 planes in 4 yrs ,I dont want to work on a plane.I appreciate your input.I am going to have to put a lot of thought into this before I make a decision.Im thinking i should wait and let them get some more of the bugs out. I talked to Chip and John Fl rep Flew down gave me demo nice guy.
    Thanks
    Chuck
    I own a early S1 serial number 6..N787AK. I have updated the exhaust to the hi-pro exhaust and changed the propeller to the SenSenich composite ground adjustable prop. I will have owned 7AK for 4 years in march and flown her over 700 hours tach time. I got my pilot license and CFI in this sport cub.

I fly her hard and to the edge but treat her very right with 100 hour inspections and constant vigilance! I sometimes break things because of the places I fly into, like the backcountry, beaches, sand and gravel bars, top of mesas, dirt strips and so on but that is why I own a sport cub so I can do those things as that is the kind of flying I love doing!

The cylinders or the engine has not given me any problems. The mags and the charging system issues were because I wasn't aware of the manufactured periodic check recommendations and I shared the info so other owners would be aware of the recommendations. When the composite ground adjustable prop first came out there was some issues with bolts breaking and hub vibrations. SenSenich has stood very tall and fixed and warranty the problems. Those problems no longer happen

As with any new product there are design improvements replacing older parts that needed upgrading. CubCrafters as always stood behind their products and have gone overboard with warranties and solving any individual issues. When you buy a CC product you are taken into the fold and treated like family by not only the CC factory but by other CC owners!

Another way of looking at it is the things you have read will be to your advantage as you will have confidence that those issues were resolved and are no longer a problem or a concern. When reviewing the logs you will know what to look for.

If you were to own an S2, what kind of flying were you planning on doing? What are your expectations from a S2?

If you have any questions about the sport cub feel free to email ( george@couleeairservices.com) me and I will I try answer them. It looks like you are located in Florida so you have a very good CC dealer available to you contact "Chip" below.

SWT Aviation
    John S. "Chip" Allen
    4343 Shallowford Rd.,Ste H-2
    Marietta, GA 30062
    770.364.1556 - cell
    770.998.2430 - fax
    info@swtaviation.com - email
    www.swtaviation.com - website

7AK at Ryan compressed.jpg[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Springloaded View Post
    Im thinking i should wait and let them get some more of the bugs out.
    Apparently, you have to build a fleet up before reliable data comes in. It seems to me that CC has responded quickly to what data they have gotten in designing a larger oil cooler and cowl flaps for the S2 - and from what I am hearing - the problem is solved.

Bug-life for autos is 2 or 3 model years - it's gotta be longer for aircraft because the quantity of data doesn't build up as fast as it does for cars. In either case, there will always be bugs.

Like any good company, CC wants to hear about problems - I suppose this forum is proof of that.