Thread: Landing gear question

Default Landing gear question

From what I've read it is my understanding that the Supercub gear will fit on the carbon cub, which brings
    me to my question:
    Does the carbon cub use 1.25 or 1.5 axles. If it uses 1.25 axles could you switch to 1.5 Axle
    Supercub gear in one of the two experimental categorys.

Default Re: Landing gear question

Quote Originally Posted by Ndill View Post
    From what I've read it is my understanding that the Supercub gear will fit on the carbon cub, which brings
    me to my question:
    Does the carbon cub use 1.25 or 1.5 axles. If it uses 1.25 axles could you switch to 1.5 Axle
    Supercub gear in one of the two experimental categorys.
    Yes, Super Cub and Carbon Cub gear are bolt on exchangeable (if you forget about paperwork/approvals)

Carbon Cub has 1.25 axles standard.

If you so wanted, you could switch to the 1.5 axles under E-AB or E-LSA certification.

Keep in mind the E-LSA gear is built for Light Sport gross weight and you would be adding a little to your empty weight if you were to bolt on Super Cub 1.5 axle gear that is built for 1750+ gross weight.

Pete D.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    Yes, Super Cub and Carbon Cub gear are bolt on exchangeable (if you forget about paperwork/approvals)

Carbon Cub has 1.25 axles standard.

If you so wanted, you could switch to the 1.5 axles under E-AB or E-LSA certification.

Keep in mind the E-LSA gear is built for Light Sport gross weight and you would be adding a little to your empty weight if you were to bolt on Super Cub 1.5 axle gear that is built for 1750+ gross weight.

Pete D.
    Thanks for the answer Pete, now a follow up question.
    If you went to 6-inch wheels with 1.5 axles, could you still use the lightened, drilled brake rotors
    and the brake calipers from the carbon cub-S2, or would you have to go to different caliper and solid brake rotors. Still in E-LSA or E-AB of course, and still using grove wheels and brake who is is your supplier if I remember right.
    Last edited by Ndill; 01-26-2011 at 12:14 PM.

As far as I know you would have to switch out the caliper and disk as well. The 1.5" axle wheel assembly is usually similar to what they would put on a Cessna 185 so its quite a bit heavier, thicker disk and much larger brake caliper. Probably a little overkill for a (typical) Carbon Cub.

I'm thinking your inquiring about 1.5" wheels so as to have them interchangeable with a Cessna?

Pete D

The following is from another post I made that may be helpful.

Yes that is 3" extended Dodge gear with 1.5" axles. Before I sold my Super Cub and bought this kit I checked with Noel at the Cubworks to verify that the Carbon Cub would accept PA-18 gear. If it hadn't that one thing would have kept me from buying the kit. I have a set of Landes LW2500 skis that I wanted to keep. And with those skis there are some special fittings welded onto the gear that Landes will only weld on in their shop. So I bought new 3" Dodge gear through them with the fittings. When I sold my PA-18 I kept the skis and gear and have that gear on the Carbon Cub now as I worked on the fuselage. I sold the 3" Cub Crafter gear to a friend in Billings.

Since the Grove wheels that came with the kit were for 1.25" axles I called Grove and asked about an exchange for 1.5" axles. They were very good to work with and made an even trade with me for 1.5" bearings and wheels. I'll use those wheels with 31" Bushwheels and the 8" tires in the images are on Clevelands

BTW, I weighed the 3" CC gear that came with the kit and my 3" Dodge gear with ski fittings and 1.5" axles. The Dodge gear was 1/4 pound heavier for both sides.

I believe the CC kit gear is a little heavier than the CC LSA gear as well....

Pete D.

Thanks for the info Dan. I assume your using a different brake system then the carboncub/S2 lightweight
    brakes. I had also wondered if you could use the 1.50 axle landing gear and wheels, but mate them to the carboncub lightweight brakes with some custom machining if needed.
    Last edited by Ndill; 01-26-2011 at 04:34 PM.

Thanks for all the help folks, I've never owned or worked on either a Supercub or Carboncub so I'm
    kind of asking questions in the dark here.
    Last edited by Ndill; 01-26-2011 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    As far as I know you would have to switch out the caliper and disk as well. The 1.5" axle wheel assembly is usually similar to what they would put on a Cessna 185 so its quite a bit heavier, thicker disk and much larger brake caliper. Probably a little overkill for a (typical) Carbon Cub.

I'm thinking your inquiring about 1.5" wheels so as to have them interchangeable with a Cessna?

Pete D
    Actually Pete I wasn't thinking about interchanging with cessna, what I wondered was could I take the
    Carbon Cub brake system ie "calipers and rotors", and mate them up to the Grove 61 series lightweight 6x1.50 2400 LBS GW wheels, and put them on the 1.50 axle landing gear. I guess I've ask enough questions for today if I have anymore questions I'll call Grove. thanks again.
    Last edited by Ndill; 01-26-2011 at 05:12 PM.