Thread: flying in sunny AZ

Default flying in sunny AZ

I am working on getting my private current again after many years of not flying. I was headed to AZ for the classic car auctions, so I connected with George Hoover for some training and more exposure to the Cub Crafters planes. We had a blast! What a pleasure it was to fly with George. We flew from his home base of Falcon Field to Phoenix regional for some slow flight and TO/Landing practice. PHX Regional has both asphalt and gravel, so we made plenty of landings on both. In fact, after stopping to see the WACO the folks at Desert Rat Aviation were restoring, we noticed a rock strike in the elevator that had punctured the fabric. After a quick patch by Andy Estes, the owner of DRA, we were on our way.

If anyone is getting away from the winter and visiting the Phoenix area, give George a call, I guarantee he will show you a great time.
    Cub.jpg photo.jpg

Default Re: flying in sunny AZ

Tom and I had a grand time! He is seriously considering buying a carbon cub so was looking for some more cub driving time. We gave him that and he caught on very fast!

Tom is from Colorado, with that high density altitude a Carbon Cub is a perfect match for the Colorado back country.

Thanks for the kudos
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

Default Re: flying in sunny AZ

Hi Tom,

Sorry I missed the opportunity to meet you last weekend, but for certain you were in great hands with Andy and George and thanks for the kind words as we strive to make Desert Rat a great place for Cub drivers to bring their planes for service, repairs and builder assistance. The CarbonCub is a great airplane having had the opportunity to fly it up in Yakima and I jokingly tell my friends who are considering helicopters, to consider the CarbonCub!

Have you considered building a CarbonCub EX (kit) either to LSA or Experimental Amateur-Built status? the Experimental A-B has the additional benefit of having a gross weight of 1865 lbs which is very appealing. We would love to explore the benefits and are available to help you build the plane in our facility at Desert Rat Aviation. If this is of interest to you, please contact me so we can explore this together.

Regards,

Rob Huntington
    DESERT RAT AVIATION