Thread: Oil recommendations for CC340

Default Oil recommendations for CC340

Several customers have asked me detailed questions about not only which oil to use, but about the proper oil change regimen for the CC340 including break-in. Of course the maintenance manual that comes with each aircraft has our recommendation on oil and change intervals but doesn't go into why, so questions remain, and inquiring minds want to know more. Below is an overview of our recommendation which we've developed in concert with ECi who provides our engine components.

Oil
    We recommend Philips 20W-50 XC ("blue bottle") from break-in right through TBO. This is a multi-viscosity mineral-based lubricant (non-synthetic). Philips does make a non-AD (ashless dispersant) version of this oil that they call 20W-50 M ("black bottle") which would be their version of a traditional "mineral oil" used for break-in, but we recommend the XC. The reason why XC can work for break-in is because it does not have the Lycoming LW 16702 anti-wear additive and thus allows a bit more friction to occur which is necessary for the break-in process. The ashless dispersant additives help keep the engine clean during break-in.

Change intervals
    10 hours (10 hr interval)
    25 hours (15 hr interval)
    Every 25 hours thereafter

Long term
    Though it isn't in the maintenance manual we recommend the use of CamGuard in addition to the Philips 20W-50 XC once the engine gets 80-100 hours on it and oil consumption has stabilized. This will result in simply the best protection you can get both in terms of anti-wear and anti-corrosion. Note: due to the lower oil capacity of the CC340 you only need a half bottle of CamGuard, so one bottle will last cover two oil changes.

Now, for those like me who want to know even more I've attached several articles from Aviation Consumer, arguably one of the best and most thorough aviation publications in the business, that gets in the technology and test results.

Hope this helps, good reading!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Randy Lervold

Question Re: Oil recommendations for CC340

If an oil filter adapter (and spin-on oil filter) is installed, is the recommendation still 25 hours, or (as with most aircraft engines) do we go to 50 hours?

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA

Default Re: Oil recommendations for CC340

Quote Originally Posted by chipallen View Post
    If an oil filter adapter (and spin-on oil filter) is installed, is the recommendation still 25 hours, or (as with most aircraft engines) do we go to 50 hours?
    Yes, though I'd change the oil short of 50 hours, maybe 40-45. I've seen data on the way oil deteriorates as it accumlates time and it is not a linear decline, it really starts going downhill after 40 hours.
    Randy Lervold

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    Several customers have asked me detailed questions about not only which oil to use, but about the proper oil change regimen for the CC340 including break-in. Of course the maintenance manual that comes with each aircraft has our recommendation on oil and change intervals but doesn't go into why, so questions remain, and inquiring minds want to know more. Below is an overview of our recommendation which we've developed in concert with ECi who provides our engine components.

Oil
    We recommend Philips 20W-50 XC ("blue bottle") from break-in right through TBO. This is a multi-viscosity mineral-based lubricant (non-synthetic). Philips does make a non-AD (ashless dispersant) version of this oil that they call 20W-50 M ("black bottle") which would be their version of a traditional "mineral oil" used for break-in, but we recommend the XC. The reason why XC can work for break-in is because it does not have the Lycoming LW 16702 anti-wear additive and thus allows a bit more friction to occur which is necessary for the break-in process. The ashless dispersant additives help keep the engine clean during break-in.

Change intervals
    10 hours (10 hr interval)
    25 hours (15 hr interval)
    Every 25 hours thereafter

Long term
    Though it isn't in the maintenance manual we recommend the use of CamGuard in addition to the Philips 20W-50 XC once the engine gets 80-100 hours on it and oil consumption has stabilized. This will result in simply the best protection you can get both in terms of anti-wear and anti-corrosion. Note: due to the lower oil capacity of the CC340 you only need a half bottle of CamGuard, so one bottle will last cover two oil changes.

Now, for those like me who want to know even more I've attached several articles from Aviation Consumer, arguably one of the best and most thorough aviation publications in the business, that gets in the technology and test results.

Hope this helps, good reading!
    Randy, this information is a ton of really good info.
    Thanks!

"Quote: Long term
    Though it isn't in the maintenance manual we recommend the use of CamGuard in addition to the Philips 20W-50 XC once the engine gets 80-100 hours on it and oil consumption has stabilized. This will result in simply the best protection you can get both in terms of anti-wear and anti-corrosion. Note: due to the lower oil capacity of the CC340 you only need a half bottle of CamGuard, so one bottle will last cover two oil changes."

Just wanting to double check that nothing's changed on the use of CamGuard....
    Is this recommendation that Randy made back in 2011, to add half a bottle of Camguard at time of oil change (after 80 hours) still the recommended procedure.

And what's the latest oil change interval recommendation....25, 40, 50 hours?

Thanks
    Paul

Paul, I started with the Camguard at 75 hrs. I'm changing oil & filter on a 25 hr cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Just wanting to double check that nothing's changed on the use of CamGuard....
    Is this recommendation that Randy made back in 2011, to add half a bottle of Camguard at time of oil change (after 80 hours) still the recommended procedure.

And what's the latest oil change interval recommendation....25, 40, 50 hours?

Thanks
    Paul
    Nothing has changed, I still recommend CamGuard for all the reasons detailed in the articles linked above. Oil change intervals as noted in the AMM, but my recommendations are above.
    Randy Lervold

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    Nothing has changed, I still recommend CamGuard for all the reasons detailed in the articles linked above. Oil change intervals as noted in the AMM, but my recommendations are above.
    Very good. Thought so. Thanks Randy.
    This engine is performing like a champ!!

Default Re: Oil recommendations for CC340 - Philips Victory ?

Following Randy's recommendation, I use Philips 20W-50 XC and CamGuard in my 2016 CC11-160.

Someone recently recommended Philips Victory oil, saying I could then skip the CamGuard.

What do you think about this?

Thank you,
    John