Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Com antenna servicing

Default Com antenna servicing

Com antenna servicing

Since both the CCSS and the S2 have the com antenna hanging below the fuselage I am putting this report in the General CubCrafters thread.

I have knocked my antenna loose several times or the vibration works it loose. I am not sure but I have had to fix it at least six times. This last time the through the fuselage ceramic insulator broke into many pieces.

Here is a quote from a knowledgeable owner who has the antenna on top of the wing root.

"The radio antenna was built that way at the factory. XXXX, who originally ordered the plane, simply would not accept it underneath. The folks I run with frequently look at that underneath mounting and just laugh. They mock CubCrafters by using that mounting as "proof" these aren't real planes. Mine is mounted right in the wing root....I don't know what is used for ground plane. It works great from there....I simply don't understand CCs refusal to move it."

CC has a LOA (letter of approval) available for those like me who have been having a problem and would like to relocate it. There will be a simple kit with instructions available shortly from CC. Contact Ethan Hughes..customer service.

Here are some pictures of the fittings.

compressed cermaic broken.jpgacompressed outside.jpglcompressed outside panel.jpg)compressed inside panel.jpg compressed wiring inside.jpg
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

Default Re: Com antenna servicing

Quote Originally Posted by couleeone View Post
    CC has a LOA (letter of approval) available for those like me who have been having a problem and would like to relocate it. There will be a simple kit with instructions available shortly from CC. Contact Ethan Hughes..customer service.
    16 hours of training and you're an AP! 'Blue tape' does not make things safer. Just more slow.

George, I sent you a text with a pic of a com antenna but thought I'd post the info here to. If the antenna is ever actually replaced (the whip part of it) note that the angle needs to be adjusted. The bend angle should be 115 degrees, and a new one comes bent less than that. You might check that and see what angle yours is...

Pete D.
    Last edited by Pete D; 04-02-2011 at 03:28 PM. Reason: edited spelling, replaced "every" with "ever"

I have now made the transition of moving the comm antenna to the wing root. Worked out very nicely and it does work fine...any better? I do not know yet. I do know I wont be knocking it loose anymore!

compressed antenna distanceP1020822.jpgcompressed antenna medioum distaced.jpgcompressed antenna close P1020825.jpg
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

Cool Re: Com antenna servicing

The plane looks great George and thanks again for all your support of Desert Rat Aviation. I'm sorry I can't be with you at Falcon Field today but look forward to your next visit!

Quote Originally Posted by couleeone View Post
    I have now made the transition of moving the comm antenna to the wing root. Worked out very nicely and it does work fine...any better? I do not know yet. I do know I wont be knocking it loose anymore!
    I agree the current antenna installation leaves a bit to be desired. Mine has loosened up too. It is very light.

However, I wonder about radio performance. Comm antennas need a good ground plane surrounding the base which needs to be metal well grounded. Metal can be thin foil but it just needs to be grounded.

Given that these airplanes tend to operate low good radio performance for distance is important. I would like to find a place to put antenna where a good ground plane could be established. Also using a fiberglass antenna with a better SWR would be helpful versus the whip. Would be a little heavier.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

I have been using the Garmin SL40 with the antenna mounted as in Georges plane for the last three years. My friends tell me that I am always clear and usually the last one to be heard when we split up...I always fly low. Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by Centmont View Post
    I have been using the Garmin SL40 with the antenna mounted as in Georges plane for the last three years. My friends tell me that I am always clear and usually the last one to be heard when we split up...I always fly low. Ralph
    Still getting my ducks in a row. ;-) But, Ralph, that's a 10-12 watt radio - were your friends flying with the same? Or just above you? The test, it seems to me, is how the top mount effects control tower communication in a 6 watt com (like Becker). I am guessing very little. What's your take?
    Ran

So far my communications with towers has improved considerably and at a greater range!
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

Ran: I can't help you with technical questions....I'm more farm-boy. The radio works great ... better than most, whether talking air-to-air or air-to-ground. Sorry I can't be more help. Ralph