Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Com antenna servicing

Default Re: Com antenna servicing

Quote Originally Posted by Centmont View Post
    Ran: I can't help you with technical questions....I'm more farm-boy. The radio works great ... better than most, whether talking air-to-air or air-to-ground. Sorry I can't be more help. Ralph
    Ralph,
    Farm boy or not from what I have gathered, you're an excellent, experienced pilot. My point in determining a top or bottom antenna is the strength of the signal. The SL30-40 seems like over-kill in a low-and-slow aircraft...when something like the MGL V10 is half the weight in a 6 watt com.

So, I am asking, would that be a good direction to go with a top mount?

Ran

Could it be that because we are low (not necessarily because we are slow), we might need strong radios....I can tell you that I seldom need or use radios; but when I do, because of where I live and where I fly, it needs to reach out. Again that is simply speculation. Most folks who look to see what radio I am using, respond with ... "Good, that is a great dependable radio". I wish I could be of more help, but honestly, I didn't even know what wattage my radio was....I just knew it worked. Ralph

The Garmin (formerly Apollo) Slim Line radios are the Cadillacs of their class....

Pete D

While Ralph doesn't need radio much in Montana, for me, both in Seattle and Phoenix areas, the radio is in constant use as these airports have CTs and it seems like you are transitioning constantly from one airpace to another!

Love heading into the backcountry where we can turn it off or turn to your personal channels for flights of two or more!
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com