View Poll Results: Which aircraft would you purchase?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Carbon Cub SS LSA

5 23.81%
  • Carbon Cub EX (build your own)

9 42.86%
  • Top Cub

1 4.76%
  • Carbon Cub Certified (if one existed)

6 28.57%

Thread: CarbonCub Certification?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default CarbonCub Certification?

With all the excitement surrounding the CarbonCub SS, I'm wondering if there have been any discussions about Cub Crafter attempting to certify the CarbonCub to Part 23 standards with the 1865 lb. Gross? I understand that this may take some of the Top Cub market away, but I'm sure there are many Private Pilots out there that would love to have the performance of the CarbonCub EX without having to build one themselves. I only ask because I see myself someday trying to own a CarbonCub but I need the higher gross and don't think I'll have the time in my life to build one.

I understand if the factory guys may not want to post something that might reveal a business plan, but I'm just curious about the discussions that have gone on in this respect.

And just for fun, I've created the poll. Let's just say that a Part 23 CarbonCub Certified cost just a bit more than a Top Cub to keep it real.

Default Re: CarbonCub Certification?

Great question as the CC would be a great certified aircraft, but the cost I would imagine to certify a plane such as this would drive the price up significantly. What with certification of aircraft being in the HUNDREDS of millions of dollars these days, if it were $100 million and CubCrafters could predict 1000 units sold, that would amortize to $100,000 per plane!

I manage a facility, Desert Rat Aviation in Arizona that could help you build a CCEX into Experimental Amateur-Built Status for about the same price as a Carbon Cub SS with 1865 gross weight and custom built to your specs. Great idea though!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Huntington View Post
    Great question as the CC would be a great certified aircraft, but the cost I would imagine to certify a plane such as this would drive the price up significantly. What with certification of aircraft being in the HUNDREDS of millions of dollars these days, if it were $100 million and CubCrafters could predict 1000 units sold, that would amortize to $100,000 per plane!
    I know that some of the new aircraft out there (like the cirrus) cost a small country's GDP to certify, but I also know that Quest spent south of $50M certifying the Kodiak from scratch. Since CubCrafters already has a factory building LSA's, I'm thinking they could turn out a conforming prototype nearly right off the line and certify it to 1865 lb Gross. I don't presume this is easy or cheap. I too expect that it would cost more than the Top Cub once complete, but even with a bit of added weight for certification, It may still come in under the empty weight of the Top Cub. But I'm only speculating, The CC factory guys are the ones in the know, and I'm sure they've done their homework on this question. I was just looking for a way to get the performance without the build. Although, admittedly, I know I would enjoy the build process. Maybe someday I could take you up on the offer to come down to AZ and build one.

Wouldn't a "certified" Carbon Cub be wonderful? But if a certified Carbon Cub was available, it probably wouldn't quite be a Carbon Cub. Probably a little heavier. Light weight, and how it is distributed, is what makes the Carbon Cub such an awesome airplane. So you'd have to weigh (pardon the pun) the respective advantages of each airplane. FYI Niner, the 1320 light sport max gross is a category limit, not a design limit. The Carbon Cub is load tested to 1865. It's kinda like the 120 kt light sport speed limit. Know of anybody getting a speeding ticket?

Help Rob, haven't met you yet but know Andy, Allan and Tina at Desert Rats fairly well and it is one of my favorite places to vist! Andy has done some outstanding fabric repair and some mechanical stuff as well for me!

I have given positive feed back to CC and reccomended approval of Desert Rats to be an official CC build station! But that decision lies in someone else hands.

Geo

Talking Re: CarbonCub Certification?

Hi ninerpilot & George:

When you would like to explore building a CCEX in more detail, please feel free to contact us--I think you'd be happy with what we have to offer and it can be a lot of fun!

George, I too look forward to meeting you (I missed you last week) and have known Andy for about 10 years--he's top-notch when it comes to aircraft fabrication & repairs. I am truly excited about the future with CubCrafters as they are all great people!

Rob Huntington

And by the way George, many thanks for all the help & support!

Rob Huntington
    Desert Rat Aviation
    www.DesertRatAviation.com

Rob, Good meeting you today at the Desert Rats Pilot Lounge stopover! ...Geo