Thread: Dreams, with a question

Default Dreams, with a question

Sometime during the day (almost everyday it seems) I click on the "How to buy" page and spend the next hour or so in complete oblivion to the trials and tribulations of the world that surrounds me. It's an enjoyable pastime that keeps a dream alive that goes back into the late 40's when a neighbor gave a dirt poor Iowa farm boy a ride in a J3 Cub.
    I've done a little flying off and on throughout my adult life, but I have never owned an aircraft of my own...I keep dreaming with the help of the HOW TO BUY page. I pick an option, then check the weight...maybe reconfigure...check weights again, come to a conclusion and have one more dream to stack in the mental hanger. The next day I find myself starting all over again, it's fun and it keeps an old man busy.
    There is one option which, for me, needs additional "benefits gain" explanation, and that is polished struts.
    Is it a speed gain of a knot or so?

Default Re: Dreams, with a question

Its a (very) slight weight loss and personal opinion on how you want the airplane to look. Depending on the rest of the paint scheme, it can look pretty cool but doesn't always add to the look of the airplane. Kind of like the flames option. You love it or hate it.

I must confess I too have played with the options calculator :-)

Pete D.

Frank, you are never to old to dream! If its on your bucket list..make it happen! If you don't have a pilot license you still are not too old. I got my wings at 63 three years ago and there was guys older than me!

Come out to AZ and live the dream with me and we will get you your cub driving adventure!
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

Polished struts are just an aesthetic thing... "bling" to some extent. Personally, I don't recommend them because of the maintenance that is required to keep them looking decent. To each his own though, it you like the look then check the box!
    Randy Lervold

Hi Frank,

Like George, we'd love you to come to Arizona and we'll help you build you own Cub to your exact specifications. What could be more fun than to see your airplane built from start to finish? I work for Desert Rat Aviation http://www.desertrataviation.com and we have the facility, personnel and capabilities to build a Carbon Cub EX to LSA or Experimental amateur-built standards. These are great airplanes with terrific capabilities and would love to help you make your dream a reality!

Rob Huntington

Well, now I know. You are right Pete...I have never been too partial to flames ether, as Randy says, more bling than anything else.
    Geo and Rob, I have dropped in to see you both many times. I enjoy riding with George (videos) and watching the Desert Rats botox the old ladies.....they do look nice the second time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    I've done a little flying off and on throughout my adult life, but I have never owned an aircraft of my own...I keep dreaming with the help of the HOW TO BUY page. I pick an option, then check the weight...maybe reconfigure...check weights again, come to a conclusion and have one more dream to stack in the mental hanger. The next day I find myself starting all over again, it's fun and it keeps an old man busy.
    Beautiful. You can count me in that club as well. I've even taken to planning an airstrip on a piece of land in northern Michigan I've been looking at lately. It's got a little cabin, but where shall I build the hangar? I look at all this dreaming as getting my ducks in a row - it may seem silly, but at least I know which way they're (my ducks) are waddling.

I say, dream, plan, then make it happen.