Thread: 7AK canyon turns and wingovers

Default 7AK canyon turns and wingovers

It was a cloudy day for AZ but that doesn't stop a Northwester! Had fun showing another CFI some sport cub capabilities! Demo tight 180 degree canyon turns utilizing the flaps, bank and yank with full power and she pivots on a thin dime! Also some tight fun turns via wing overs. Watch the ground reference with the side windows and window frames......no big deal but a little on the edge...wish we were acro approved! Maybe we will get a acro approved version some day!

You know every time I get to play like this I just get thrilled that I have a sport cub that is so flexible and forgiving giving me such pleasure to share my journeys!..More coming... meantime enjoy..Geo

Default Re: 7AK canyon turns and wingovers

Hola mi Amigo!

Beautifull flight!...see you very soon!

Saludos

Gustavo

Quote Originally Posted by couleeone View Post
    Demo tight 180 degree canyon turns utilizing the flaps, bank and yank with full power and she pivots on a thin dime!
    Cool. But how thick is the dime? A couple questions: How much altitude did you lose on those very tight 180 turns? Can't you be within the same radius of turn at lower speeds (flaps!) but without losing the same altitude? This whole canyon flying thing is new to me.
    Last edited by RanRan; 01-19-2011 at 06:23 PM.

Full power is what really spins it around! No altitude loss.

On climb out, pull power off, steep bank, pull full flaps, glide at 50 and you have made a 180 spin back to runway and your on final. might even be too high and have to slip.

Here is a couple of Videos not exactly above but with turn arounds, short approaches, some sideways flying and one wheel landings and taxiing all from the back seat. Love doing this stuff! Watch the air speed indicator to see how low an air speed we can fly and manuever. Full power and manipulating the flaps makes a big difference!

Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

Now that's some great flying! What type of camera are you using it seems to be perfect very sharp image thanks Bob

Thanks Bob, I had a fellow CFI in the front seat working on his Tailwheel when I decided to demonstrate a little stick and rudder cub driving. He used his I-phone it took video in HD.
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com