Thread: SL40 COM programming settings

Default SL40 COM programming settings

SL40 COM programming settings. These are the values that are changed from Garmin's defaults to help make the SL40 work better in the Cub noise environment. If the value is not listed below just leave it at the default setting. There are two menus, some of these are on each. The SL40 user guide will tell you how to access and change these values.

HDPHON LvL: 000
    MIC 1 SQLCH: 28
    MIC 2 SQLCH: 28
    Transmit Mic: MIC 1 & 2
    Intercom LvL: 000
    Sidetone LvL: 45 (CC Factory sets to 45, if you set to 000 it will track the volume knob and may work better)
    Lo Disp LvL: 25
    Hi Disp LvL: 50

(Move to test pages)

RCVR Sqelch: 064
    Mic 1 Level: 128

Default Re: SL40 COM programming settings

Let me reinforce the need to change the Sidetone Lvl to 000.
    Randy Lervold

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    SL40 COM programming settings. These are the values that are changed from Garmin's defaults to help make the SL40 work better in the Cub noise environment. If the value is not listed below just leave it at the default setting. There are two menus, some of these are on each. The SL40 user guide will tell you how to access and change these values.

HDPHON LvL: 000
    MIC 1 SQLCH: 28
    MIC 2 SQLCH: 28
    Transmit Mic: MIC 1 & 2
    Intercom LvL: 000
    Sidetone LvL: 45 (CC Factory sets to 45, if you set to 000 it will track the volume knob and may work better)
    Lo Disp LvL: 25
    Hi Disp LvL: 50

(Move to test pages)

RCVR Sqelch: 064

Which brand headsets? Have these settings been tested with the new bose 20?

The headset shouldn't make too much difference. The Bose A20 should work just fine. The only time you might have any issues is flying with the door open, especially if you have someone in the back seat with a headset plugged in. Usually if they have good foam muffs on the micro phones that isn't too bad either.

I personally have used David Clark 13.4, Bose (the ones right before the A20) and Lighspeed Zulus. Everyone has their own favorite, mine are the Lightspeed Zulus, but yours may be something else.

Pete D

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    The headset shouldn't make too much difference. The Bose A20 should work just fine. The only time you might have any issues is flying with the door open, especially if you have someone in the back seat with a headset plugged in. Usually if they have good foam muffs on the micro phones that isn't too bad either.

I personally have used David Clark 13.4, Bose (the ones right before the A20) and Lighspeed Zulus. Everyone has their own favorite, mine are the Lightspeed Zulus, but yours may be something else.

Pete D
    Thanks, I will give these settings a try with the bigger oregon aero Mic muffs installed. No doors will be opened in Indiana for a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by rfriend View Post
    Which brand headsets? Have these settings been tested with the new bose 20?
    Bose A20 headsets need the microphone sensitivity turned down on the SL40, and they work well with MIC 1 Level: 50
    Chuck Hull
    L70 Agua Dulce, CA

The pilot's guide tells me how to access the Systems Functions in my SL40 and made the recommended changes to the settings. However I cannot find any instruction on how to access the "test pages". How do I do this? Any help would be appreciated

John Ciolino

Quote Originally Posted by jbc View Post
    The pilot's guide tells me how to access the Systems Functions in my SL40 and made the recommended changes to the settings. However I cannot find any instruction on how to access the "test pages". How do I do this? Any help would be appreciated

John Ciolino
    To get to the test pages. Turn the unit off and while holding the rcvr key and the flip flop switch, turn it back on. To return to normal ops, turn unit off.