Thread: Carbon Cub SS vs Carbon Cub EX

Woodland Park, Colorado (currently in Afghanistan)

Default Carbon Cub SS vs Carbon Cub EX

Can someone tell me the difference between the two? Besides the fact that one the company builds and the other I would build. Options, dimensions, performance, are they all the same? Could I build an EX that would be the same as an SS the company built?

I'm just trying to get my head around things.

Thanks for the help.

The Villages, FL (06FD, Grass Roots Airpark)

Default Re: Carbon Cub SS vs Carbon Cub EX

Mike,

A factory built CarbonCub and a kit built CarbonCub EX are not totally identical but they are very close. The major differences are these: 1) The kit MAY l end up to be about 20 lbs heavier depending on choices made during the build; 2) the EX uses the horizontal stabilizer from the TopCub with its heavier brace wires and 6" greater span; 3) the gear legs on the EX utilize our 3 extended gear struts. Performance is essentially the same for either airplane and is exceptional to say the least.

The reason for the differences is that a kit builder has the option to certify his kit to 1865 lbs gross weight as an experimental amateur built airplane should he opt to forgoe the LSA and Sport Pilot option. When we gather the kit parts at the factory, we do not know what every builder might want to do and in fact, the builder may not know either until he is well into the build.

Hope this helps. Good luck and be careful in Afghanistan. We'll talk to you when you get back. If you have any other questions, feel free to post here in the forum or email me.

John Moreland
    SWT Aviation (FL)
    SE Regional Dealer for CubCrafters
    JohnM@swtaviaiton.com
    www.swtaviation.com
    Last edited by JohnM; 01-10-2011 at 11:59 AM.

Woodland Park, Colorado (currently in Afghanistan)

Very helpful, thank you John. Very nice article in the AutoPILOT magazine as well. Very motivating to jump into a Cub.

Mike,

CubCrafters has benefited from several favorable magazine articles over the last 6-8 months with the AutoPilot article being the most recent one. There have been articles in Plane & Pilot, AOPA Magazine and Flying Magazine. Besides being favorable articles the articles are accurate so you can make your own judgement about our airplanes.

These airplanes are all about fun with lots of capability. I have flown professionally for 30+ years and the CarbonCub and SportCub have put the fun back in flying for me. I admit to being a little biased but my bias is based on fact.

As you think about your future airplane and refine your mission in your mind, you will be able to decide whether a SportCub or CarbonCub will fit your mission best. In either case, each airplane will represent the best built airframe in the LSA market place. Our Cubs are definitely worth your interest.

All the best,

John

Nice job John on recapping the differences. As you point out we have been fortunate enough to get a fair amount of press coverage this year. We've just finished updating our web site with most of the articles, they can be found here for those interested.
    Randy Lervold

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    Mike,

A factory built CarbonCub and a kit built CarbonCub EX are not totally identical but they are very close. The major differences are these: 1) The kit MAY l end up to be about 20 lbs heavier depending on choices made during the build; 2) the EX uses the horizontal stabilizer from the TopCub with its heavier brace wires and 6" greater span; 3) the gear legs on the EX utilize our 3 extended gear struts. Performance is essentially the same for either airplane and is exceptional to say the least.

The reason for the differences is that a kit builder has the option to certify his kit to 1865 lbs gross weight as an experimental amateur built airplane should he opt to forgoe the LSA and Sport Pilot option. When we gather the kit parts at the factory, we do not know what every builder might want to do and in fact, the builder may not know either until he is well into the build.

Hope this helps. Good luck and be careful in Afghanistan. We'll talk to you when you get back. If you have any other questions, feel free to post here in the forum or email me.

John Moreland
    SWT Aviation (FL)
    SE Regional Dealer for CubCrafters
    JohnM@swtaviaiton.com
    www.swtaviation.com
    John, aren't there also differences in the wing spars ( the EX version not having lightening holes) and also an extra fuselage tube in the cargo area in the EX? And perhaps other variations I'm not aware of.

Personally I think it was very smart to have the kit share landing gear and tail feather parts with the Top Cub / PA-18.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    John, aren't there also differences in the wing spars ( the EX version not having lightening holes) and also an extra fuselage tube in the cargo area in the EX? And perhaps other variations I'm not aware of.

Personally I think it was very smart to have the kit share landing gear and tail feather parts with the Top Cub / PA-18.
    Dan
    The Carbon Cub Ex does include an extra tube in the bottom of the fuselage and heavier tubing around the float attach fittings. This is for the heavier floats and the higher gross weight. The rear stabilizer attachment tube and the vertical fin are different also, this is to accommodate the Top Cub tail feathers. The wings on the Carbon Cub SS and the Carbon Cub Ex are identical, the lightened spars are for the Sport Cub only.
    Mitch
    Last edited by Mitch; 01-12-2011 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post

Dan,

Mitch beat me to an answer, so - what Mitch said. :-)

Regards,

John