Thread: First Oil Change

Default First Oil Change

Had my A&P Change the oil yesterday in Top Cub #46 for the first time since I took delivery. He said he wanted to be thorough since it was new, and check the "oil suction screen" for any debris. He said he could remove the plug but not the screen due to the engine mount. He wanted to know if there is a trick or special tool for that application??

Default Re: First Oil Change

No trick or tool. You would have to take the nuts off of the lower engine mounts and at least lift the front of the engine up, if not all four bolts and move it forward.

Pete D.

Thanks Pete. Also appreciate the response on the cargo net, I ordered one earlier this week.

So... given that you have to move the engine to check it, is this something folks typically don't check?? Is it something not to be worried about?

No, I wouldn't worry about checking it regularly. Typically you would check the suction screen if you found something in the other screen (or filter). The holes in the suction screen are much larger than the other screen, so if the one on the back of the engine (probably has a filter installed, right?) is clean the suction screen will be too. The saying goes, "if there are pieces in the suction screen they are probably big enough they have part numbers on them"