Thread: Sport Cub/Carbon Cub Cowling screws

Default Sport Cub/Carbon Cub Cowling screws

Ever get tired of having to put all the washers back on the screws when re-installing a cowling on a Sport Cub or Carbon Cub? I sure did until I figured this neat trick out.

Take a couple pieces of tape (2" masking tape works well) and stick it on either the bottom cowling or the boot cowl on either side in easy reach when you are taking the screws out. Stick each end down and folded over so that the sticky side is out, then put another small piece on each end to hold it in place. As you take the screws and washers out, stick them on the pieces of tape with the washer and screw head against the tape.

When ready to re-install the cowling just grab each screw by the threaded portion sticking out, and put it in the cowling. So much easier than fiddling with the screws and washers re-installing them out of a mixed up pile!

Pete D

1008001522c.jpg

1008001522.jpg

Default Re: Sport Cub/Carbon Cub Cowling screws

But Pete: Crawling around in the dust and oil, attempting to adjust the headlamp with one hand while feeling for the screw with the other, banging my head on the com antenna, and raising up under the prop have been so much fun for so many years....not to mention all the exercise I would miss with your system. Ralph

Well Ralph, we'll call this optional ;-)

Considering I usually don't go more than a day or two without taking somebody's cowling off, I would rather not fiddle around with them any more than I have to. It wouldn't be so bad if it were just one airplane every few weeks or month or two for an oil change.

Besides, usually, someone is paying me to do it. Wouldn't you appreciate it to know we are working as efficiently as possible when you are the guy writing the check? :-)

Pete

I "borrowed" your method immediately after seeing it in Yakima the first time.... just didn't want to admit it.

BTW: reversing the com ports on the GPS has everything working again..... thanks my friend. R