Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cracked Exhaust

Default Cracked Exhaust

My Sport Cub S2 (S/N 52) went in for condition inspection this week. Two items came up. Couple years ago I had a broken exhaust pipe at the weld and it was replaced with a single piece exhaust. At one of the bends we found a 3-4 inch crack on both sides of the pipe. Second item is a metallic rattle in the fixed portion of the elevator between the 1st and second rib. Waiting for more info on the fix if it is a broken weld on the cross support. Jon

Default Re: Cracked Exhaust

how many hours?

About 231 hours total on the aircraft but about 160 hours on this exhaust pipe. It was the single piece replacement for a previously welded pipe that broke at a weld at around 70 hours.

Which exaust do you have? Hipro?

Geo - if you mean brand, I believe it is AWI. CC is checking with them to see about warranty coverage. It had cracked on both sides. Jon

Jon, not brand but did you have the S2 hi-proformance exhaust (4 pipes coming out the bottom)? or the stock S1 with two pipes coming out the side? My S1 exhaust crack a couple of times finally I upgraded to the hipro exhaust and havent had any problem since.

Geo

Geo - no I had the four pipe hi performance exhaust from the beginning. Jon

"Second item is a metallic rattle in the fixed portion of the elevator between the 1st and second rib. Waiting for more info on the fix if it is a broken weld on the cross support. Jon"

Thanks Jon, I will keep a closer eye on those areas looking for exhaust cracks. I have just under 700 hours on my cub and usually been the forerunner for issues. What have you found out about the elevator rattle?

Geo

Geo - we sent it to CubCrafters today to take apart and look inside. There is a diagonal brace that the weld may have let go. It may have happened on one other aircraft. If you tap on the fabric on the horizontal stabilizer you will hear the rattle. Thought it best to send it there to take apart and get recovered and repainted at the factory. Will let you know.

Jon

Junior Member Table Rock Aviation's Avatar

We recently upgraded to the new exhaust (4 into 1) March of this year from the old exhaust. During the past 100hr inspection we found a crack on the front left exhaust stack this October, the stack had close to 90 hrs on it. We purchased a new exhaust stack from CubCrafters with the hopes that AWI will warranty the part somehow. SN: Geo our Cub is up to 560hrs so you and I probably have the highest time S1's out there right now