Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Kit Mods

Default Re: Kit Mods

Dan: That is one fine piece of workmanship. I will be in town late August early Sept and looking forward to seeing the "finished product". Leaving for Alaska in the morning, one stop in Joseph, Oregon for 31" tires and in Missoula to see Millar. Keep up the good work. Larry

Dan,
    Very Nice!!!

I can't wait to get to that point with my build.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    Attachment 1045

A slightly out-of-focus shot of the panel now in place behind the boot cowl.
    Are you planning on a fan for the windshield defroster?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry W View Post
    Dan: That is one fine piece of workmanship. I will be in town late August early Sept and looking forward to seeing the "finished product". Leaving for Alaska in the morning, one stop in Joseph, Oregon for 31" tires and in Missoula to see Millar. Keep up the good work. Larry
    Hi Larry, I hope to have it finished by August and look forward to seeing you then. I keep working at it. Say hello to Millar.

RanRan - no fan on the defrost. Just a flapper valve that will divert the warm air up or allow it to flow through the regular floorboard vents. I have two openings in the top of the boot cowl so the warm air can hit the windshield.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    RanRan - no fan on the defrost. Just a flapper valve that will divert the warm air up or allow it to flow through the regular floorboard vents. I have two openings in the top of the boot cowl so the warm air can hit the windshield.
    A good thing for Montana! (and Michigan). I would think, especially with cowl flaps diverting much of the ram air, that a fan might be the ticket...even a couple of those little computer fans - they don't weigh beans.

I've been adding images to my last post but I don't think they get it looked at very much because no one browses through old post for new pictures. But there are more there if anyone wants to look.

And I've got a few more from last week I'll put here:

DSCN1844.jpg

I finished painting the door and boot cowl.

DSCN1843.jpg

DSCN1851.jpg

The engine is hung now too.

DSCN1850.jpg

Working the boot cowl into position. It is a tight fit and using some tongue depressers helps keep the cowl edges going in the right direction.

Dan, it's looking great!

Last week I finished the engine install with completion of the wiring to and from the engine and making connections of cables from the panel to the carburator, carb. heat, mixture control, cabin heat, etc.

DSCN1858.jpg

And I got a start on fitting the engine cowl havles:

DSCN1861.jpg

I watched the furnished Cub Crafter's DVD on fitting the engine cowl to the boot cowl. As is often the case a skilled person can make a somewhat difficult job look easy. I made the first trim like was done in the DVD; using a compass to draw a parallel line. That went well but trimming with snips didn't go as well for me as it did in the DVD. My snip line wasn't as straight as I wanted and cutting through the carbon fiber with that tool left a splintery rough mess that I had to clean up with a file. And then I had a wavy ugly looking line. Fortunately this edge is trimmed twice to allow for clearance between the spinner backplate and the front of the engine cowl.

I slid the engine cowl back onto the boot cowl and made my second cut-to line. A little trial cutting with a cutoff wheel in a Dremel tool showed that would work well cutting the carbon fiber. So I taped and clecoed two pieces of steel banding on my new lines and using the cutoff wheel just touching the banding made a cut as nice as I could. And it turned out very straight and clean - just what I was hoping for the first time.

DSCN1865.jpg

Next will be match-drilling the engine cowl to the boot cowl and installing nut plates. And I haven't yet fit the new cowl flaps.

DSCN1864.jpg

I told my wife I'd buy her a new saddle pad if I could use it for a little while first. Informed her that I needed some padding on the seat base as I layed under the panel making wiring connections after the boot cowl was in place. She got the dog a new bed too which I layed over the door sill. So everyone is happy now except the dog who has to wait until I'm finished.
    Last edited by Dan L; 06-14-2011 at 03:55 PM.

Dan,

I started reading about you trimming the cowl with snips and said to myself "oh no, he needs to be using a high-speed cutoff wheel on a die grinder", then I read you did, good. I found that following up that with a "long board" sanding block lets you fine tune it and get a straight line. Any autobody shop will sell a long board, it's a sanding block with a handle on it where the sandpaper strips are maybe 2-3" wide and over a foot long... standard stuff in body work.
    Randy Lervold

DSCN1859.jpg

The engine cowl is fit up in this image.

DSCN1870.jpg

And painted in this shot.

DSCN1871.jpg

And now with the engine cowl painted, the door installed and the rudder in place I can layout the trim on the side. I'm going to go with a traditional PA-18 scheme that I had and liked on my previous Super Cub.