Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Kit Mods

Default Re: Kit Mods

Hi Pete,

You've got a sharp eye. And as soon as I read your question I realised that the two clamps to the mount were asking for trouble with vibration differences between the mount and engine. I've since moved those two clamps to the engine case bolts. And on the copper line from the gascolator I'll put a loop in it before connecting to the Tee.

I've gone as far as I can now on the engine without mounting it to the fuselage.

A sharp eye only because I've been there, done that and had someone else tell me I had to change it ;-)

Pete D

I finished spraying the aluminum parts with the polyurathane and got to the tail feathers last week.

DSCN1742.jpg

Getting started on the rudder.

DSCN1744.jpg

And all five pieces covered now and the stabs are stitched too. I hope to get the stitching and taping completed this week and then back to spraying.

465 hours to this point for those that are interested. The big items remaining beyond the tail feathers are covering the fuselage, fitting the cowl sections, some wiring and then putting the big parts (like wings) on the fuselage.

I've got the tail feathers ready to start spraying:

DSCN1753.jpg

They're all covered, taped and ready for the first coat of Poly Brush. My previous use of Poly Brush followed the Poly Fiber manual and I bushed the product on with a bristle brush. Using the Cub Crafters technique of spraying the first coat on and immediately following that up with a 4" foam brush results in a smoother brush-mark-free surface. My wings proved that to me and I'll continue with this procedure on the tail feathers and fuselage when i get to it.

I prefer to spray vertical parts, rather than laying them flat, like this for two reasons; I can spray both sides in one session and there's less surface for stray dust to settle on. And with the HVLP system spraying downwards onto parts layed flat seems to stir up more dust from the floor. I used 1/4" all-thread bent at 90º slid through the hinge points. A 1/4-20 nut on both sides tightened up holds them vertically even with air blowing on them from spraying or the air hose blowing them clean prior to spraying.

I'm going to pull the last bias tape on the curved edges after the first coat of Poly Brush.

For those wondering about times, I've got 34 hours in the five tail feather pieces to this point. And I'll probably have another 8-10 in spraying. It takes me about an hour per coat to spray with prep time included.

DSCN1770.jpg

I finished the tail feathers about a week ago and here's an image of them with trim paint.
    Last edited by Dan L; 04-20-2011 at 03:38 PM. Reason: added image of finished tail feathers

I finished my panel, at least as far as I can go before installing it in the plane.

DSCN1759.jpg

I'm going to have a Garmin GPS too but will mount it the same as I did in my PA-18. I made an aluminum tube hanger assembly that was mounted to the V-tubes. That raised the GPS up to an easy-to-see height without compromising the view out of the windshield.

The instruments include EI VAV1 and OPT1 and a UBG16 for engine monitoring, a 2.125" dia. analog-looking but digital tach, a Becker comm radio and transponder and PS Engineering intercom.

The non-internally lighted instruments have Nu-lights between the instrument face and panel backer. And I have the switches for all lighting in the left wing root. The remote switch for the ELT is in the right wing root where it is easily accessible to a backseater too.

The weight of the panel as in the image is 14.52 pounds. A few items that will add a little more weight to that are the push/pull engine and temperature controls and wiring the harnesses to the circuit breakers and switches.
    Last edited by Dan L; 04-06-2011 at 04:03 PM.

Dan: I just have to say that I can't wait to see it this summer: Tom Knoitz is getting close on his kit too. GREAT !! Ralph

I'm covering the fuselage now and will post some images as it progresses.

DSCN1783.jpg

The image files didn't post in the order I selected them but regardless, here is the top envelope in position and ready to be glued and trimmed.

bely_fabric.jpg

Here's a the bottom sheet in place and ready to be glued and trimmed.

DSCN1775.jpg

And the belly fabric glued, trimmed and shrunk.

DSCN1793.jpg

Added an image of the top envelope now trimmed, glued and shrunk. About ready to start taping it.

For those that are interested in how long things take an average kit builder, I've got 23 hours in covering the fuselage to this point. That is from a bare fuselage to having the fabric shrunk with the 350º iron. That includes time attaching the wood rotating fixture to the motor mount attach points. And I'm working by myself and there are times when two people could work more than double the pace of one with bigger, heavier components like this and long sheets of fabric.

DSCN1805.jpg

Taping finished. Ready to start spraying. (Masking the cabin area is a lot of work.)

DSCN1808.jpg

Poly Brush applications complete - two weeks after covering on fuselage started.

DSCN1811.jpg

And the first session with Poly Spray finished now too. You can see a hint of pink yet here and there after just one cross coat spraying. I finished the Poly Spray with three cross-coats per the Poly Fiber manual - not two cross-coats per the CC builder's manual. I applied three cross coats of silver on all of the fabric surfaces and bought two more gallons of Poly Spray in addition to the issued 3 gallons and used a total of about 4.5 gallons. I used the same amount of Poly Tone and just over 3 gallons of Poly Brush (4 gallons came with the kit). I use an HVLP spray system.

DSCN1816.jpg
    DSCN1815.jpg

I finished the final spraying on the fuselage with the Poly Tone 105 Insignia white. I'm planning to paint a traditional Super Cub trim scheme in red polyurathane but I'll have to wait until I get the cowling installed to get the layout correct. I have 59 hours to go from a bare fuselage to this point.
    Last edited by Dan L; 05-13-2011 at 07:31 AM. Reason: added image

With the fuselage covering finished (other than trim paint) I'm starting to bolt parts onto the fuselage. I'll post images as that progresses.

DSCN1818.jpg

The gear legs (now black) and tail wheel are in place.

DSCN1820.jpg

I added an EI Gold Cube fuel flow transducer that feeds into the UBG-16 between the fuel valve and gascolator. You can also see I've got a control cable running to my front pedals rather than the tube linkage. I've eliminated all rear seat controls incuding the rear rudder pedals.

DSCN1821.jpg

I made several punches from 4140 steel to cut out the firewall blanket penetrations. With the firewall laying on the boot cowl build board, a couple of taps with a hammer, and out pop nice clean-cut divots. The cone is cut with a 60º angle - the same as a center drill.

DSCN1822.jpg

With the boot cowl firewall blanket now in place, bolts through the motor mount holes holding the firewall up tight to the fuselage and some straps to keep the edges tight, I layed out the screw holes for the back side of the boot cowl and drilled with a #40 bit for the #4 screws.

DSCN1824.jpg

A slightly out-of-focus shot of the panel now in place behind the boot cowl.

I'm planning to lay out the hole positions for the windscreen fairings on the boot cowl, paint it and reinstall for the last time. In between reinstalling it I'll finish the wiring to and from the panel. Then I'll mount the engine and fit the carbon fiber engine cowl. And once that is done I can lay out my trim stripe on the side and finish the painting.

20MAY11 added images below:

DSCN1829.jpg

This image shows the changes I made to the front rudder pedals. I moved the master cylinders to the front pedals and have the rudder control cables run directly to the front pedal. I made a bronze bushing for the attachment of the thimble and drilled a couple of holes in the pedal full-width to allow a single long AN3 bolt to hold the thimble in place. The top tubing line on each cylinder runs up to a Grove brake fluid reservoir (blue Tee) and the bottom lines run up to a Grove parking brake valve before going to the calipers. (I just wish they were heel brakes.)

DSCN1826.jpg

Fitting the windshield and liner clecoed in place.

Images added 23MAY11:

DSCN1831.jpg

With the boot cowl off for painting I'm finishing the wiring and in this image bleeding the brakes.

DSCN1832.jpg

Lots of wires running here and there. But when its finished it will look nice and neat.

31MAY11 added images below:

DSCN1837.jpg

The wiring is finished as far as I can go now until the engine is installed. I like the GPS up front and center where I can get a good look at ground speed just before touchdown.

DSCN1839.jpg

Laying out the D outline and peeling away the protective coating so the window can be sprayed. I made an aluminum template of the D to cut around.

DSCN1840.jpg

Ready to start spraying the boot cowl, D windows, door, turtle deck and a few misc parts.
    Last edited by Dan L; 05-31-2011 at 08:33 AM. Reason: added images

Dan

Thanks for sharing your build and the pictures. Your Carbon Cub EX looks really good.

Mitch

Dan, that's looking great! You know I just sold my Stinson project...I might have to get an EX for myself!