Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Kit Mods

Default Re: Kit Mods

I moved my finished right wing out of the shop and into the hangar. And while I had a couple of guys to help and a platform scale handy we weighed the completed wing.

DSCN1697.jpg

It weighed 66 pounds without the flap or aileron. This is with the extended range tanks. I wonder how that compares with other wings?

And I made progress on the left wing.

DSCN1693.jpg

Both top and bottom are covered now and, though not shown in the image, now on my rotating fixture and ready to start rib stitching. I made a couple of provisions to keep the #1 rib from pulling as the fabric shrunk and that seemed to work well with minimal distortion.

I've since weighed the unpainted flap and aileron at 4.6 and 6.2 pounds. So that is a total of 76.8 pounds and painting of the aluminum skins will add a little weight.

A few years a go I weighed a PA-18 wing after spraying and with all parts; tank, tank cover, wingtip light and cable it weighed 99.5 pounds. So this Carbon Cub wing with a 4 gallon greater capcity fuel tank is more than 20 pounds lighter than a comparable PA-18 wing. And times two wings that's 40+ pounds lighter. Impressive beacuse original Piper wings are considered to be lighter usually than the clone wings now available.
    Last edited by Dan L; 02-15-2011 at 01:40 PM.

After quite a while of no work on the panel I got back to it last week. I installed my pitot/static instruments and Fiberlights. And that brought up a question I've had on the best location for the static source. Do the factory-built Carbon and Sport Cubs have an ideal outside location for a port or do they rely on cabin air?

DSCN1701.jpg

All of the factory built Carbon Cubs and Sport Cubs use the cabin as the static source.

The Top Cub has a port on either side, mounted in the "extension" (sheet metal piece that goes between the boot cowl and the fabric-this area would be part of the boot cowl on the Carbon Cub) as well as a valve (similar to the gaskolator drain) that can be opened in the cabin as a backup static source.

Pete D

Thanks Pete, cabin air as the source makes it simple.

Another question as I get closer to covering the fuselage. At some point in the future I'd like to put this on floats. Where to the float equipped Carbon Cubs have the floor penetration for a water rudder cable and is there hardware available for that?

On straight floats you can put it on the right or left something like 10" or 12" ahead of the rear rudder pedal, so as the water rudders come up it hooks on the same fastener that holds the instrument panel to the little tube.

If going on Bauman amphibs it has to be on the right as it will interfere with the wheel retract handle if on the left-I found this out the hard way, lol.

Montana float company amphibs are hydraulic, as are Wipair amphibs. Not sure it matters which side you put the water rudder control on those as all the controls are up in the panel.

The parts for doing this are provided by the float company. Its made to be retrofit able, but if you really wanted to put it in now you could contact whatever float company you were planning to use and see what they have to offer.

Pete D.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    Thanks Pete, cabin air as the source makes it simple.

Another question as I get closer to covering the fuselage. At some point in the future I'd like to put this on floats. Where to the float equipped Carbon Cubs have the floor penetration for a water rudder cable and is there hardware available for that?
    This is my solution to static air source.

DSCN1722.jpg

In the center of the image is an industrial airline filter. Nice and light and with a 1/4 NPT male thread on the end threaded into a nylo-seal fitting.

Finished the left wing over the weekendDSCN1721.jpg:DSCN1706.jpg
    DSCN1705.jpg
    DSCN1710.jpg

Tail feathers are next and then the fuselage.

Finished the left wing over the weekend
    Beautiful job. The red stripe works perfectly.

I've spent some time on the engine recently getting the accessories installed.
    DSCN1729.jpg

I ran primer lines to all four cylinders rather than the single cylinder in the kit plans. And I installed CHT and EGT probes for the EI UBG-16 engine analyzer.

DSCN1728.jpg

Living in cold country in the winter and having a set of skis already, I put on an EZ Heat sump heater. This is their model 440.

DSCN1730.jpg

A carb temp probe too that will read out on the UBG-16.

DSCN1724.jpg

Before getting back to the cover work on the tail feathers I decided to prep and prime some aluminum parts and then the Aerothane over the primer. The reason for the shift in plans is the Cessna elevator in the image that was re-skinned and needs some paint now...

I ran primer lines to all four cylinders rather than the single cylinder in the kit plans.

DSCN1728.jpg

I can't tell from the angle of this picture, but do you have the primer line clamped to the engine mount?

Pete D.
    Last edited by Pete D; 03-11-2011 at 04:33 PM.