Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Kit Mods

Default Re: Kit Mods

Just about finished with the boot cowl. Watching the DVD build helps quite a bit.

DSCN1535.jpg

I'm going to add two 1.5" dia. vents for de-fog heat and I also am tipping the instrument panel toward the pilot at the top a half inch or so and am adding an .020" thick spacer between the top of the boot cowl and top of instrument panel.

DSCN1532.jpg

I got a little ahead of myself and powder coated the panel with a black/silver vein coating. That combination matches the black carbon fiber side panels very closely.
    Last edited by Dan L; 11-19-2010 at 03:45 PM.

Looks good!

Is that 3" extended heavy duty 1 1/2" axle gear you have on there? Have you flown a Carbon Cub with the 3x3 gear (3" longer, 3" forward axle) ?

Pete D

Hi Pete,

Yes that is 3" extended Dodge gear with 1.5" axles. Before I sold my Super Cub and bought this kit I checked with Noel at the Cubworks to verify that the Carbon Cub would accept PA-18 gear. If it hadn't that one thing would have kept me from buying the kit. I have a set of Landes LW2500 skis that I wanted to keep. And with those skis there are some special fittings welded onto the gear that Landes will only weld on in their shop. So I bought new 3" Dodge gear through them with the fittings. When I sold my PA-18 I kept the skis and gear and have that gear on the Carbon Cub now as I worked on the fuselage. I sold the 3" Cub Crafter gear to a friend in Billings.

Since the Grove wheels that came with the kit were for 1.25" axles I called Grove and asked about an exchange for 1.5" axles. They were very good to work with and made an even trade with me for 1.5" bearings and wheels. I'll use those wheels with 31" Bushwheels and the 8" tires in the images are on Clevelands.

I did fly the Demo Carbon Cub with the 3x3 gear when Jim was over here last summer. Nice for hard braking.

I made another change to the kit. I'd moved the brake master cylinders to the front pedals (and eliminated the rear pedals). I used the furnished poly tubing to run the brake line from the masters to the front of the V-panel and then put in bulkhead fittings. I'll run braided line from that point to the calipers. Should I go to floats someday it makes a clean way to terminate the brake lines too.

DSCN1538.jpg

The duct tape on the cabane was just to protect the finish during the boot cowl built.

I think it was a smart move to keep the gear and tail feathers on the kit the same as the Top Cub.

Ready to install leading edge skins on the left wing. I have the extended range tanks too, which I've had in the wing. The fuselage is ready to cover. My build time records show 211 hours up to this point which includes all of my mods to the fuselage including the new instrument panel fabrication and head scratching on the extended baggage and baggage door.

I haven't built a kit before but I know this is going together faster than my PA-18 did when I rebuilt it. And the wings required little work.

DSCN1552.jpg

DSCN1558.jpg

I came up with a different technique for locating the middle rivet in the LE that is quick, simple and always accurate. Before putting on any skins I stretched a string between the two outside nose ribs over the position of the middle rivet. I then center punched and drilled with a #30 drill each rib where the string layed. Then I put on skins as you normally would. When it came time to drill the middle rivet hole in the skin I used my cordless drill with a 12" long 1/8" dia. bit and match drilled the previously drilled rib hole through the skin from the bottom side. It worked really well and every hole was centered in the rib and in line with the other middle rivets.

I finished the left wing earlier this week. Bumped the fuselage out of the shop and into the hangar to make room for the right wing build.

DSCN1569.jpg

I have an Excel file keeping track of my time on this project. My total is 251 hours for assembling the left wing and fuselage and that inludes a fair amount of time with fuselage mods.

I started on the right wing over the weekend and got some done between watching four high school basketball games and church. We have twin sons who are seniors and both playing ball.

DSCN1578.jpg

More progress on the right wing:

DSCN1585.jpg

Rib cap strips, leading edge skins, tank cover attach parts and wing tip work to do. I hope to be covering in January.

A couple of friends stopped in last Friday to check on the kit. Larry W. is a commercial pilot who works out of the country but was back in the states for the holidays. Unknown to me he'd been following the progress on this forum. When I'd point out little things as we looked at the fuselage he'd say he'd already seen it on this site. The other fellow is our mutal friend Millar. Millar quit flying less than 10 years ago - as he neared 90. He learned to fly after he volunteered with the RAF in Canada before the US got into WWII. Soon he was flying over Europe. He survived the war and then flew for his sawmill business and for pleasure until recently. Last summer he rode backseat in Larry's Citabria from the east coast to Alaska!

Thanks for the tour Dan, Millar and I were quite impressed with both the quality of the kit and the quality of your workmanship. I may reappear and beg for a ride when you're completed. Regards Larry

Thumbs up Re: Kit Mods

Quote Originally Posted by Larry W View Post
    I may reappear and beg for a ride when you're completed. Regards Larry
    Anytime after its finished Larry. It was nice to see you guys last week. And it has snowed a little more since you were here.