Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Kit Mods

Default Re: Kit Mods

We had problems mounting the ELT antenna close to the COM antenna.... Transmitting on certain frequencies on the COM would set the ELT off. We ended up (on Super Cubs) needing a minimum of something like 4 or 5 feet. One of the manufactures (I think of the ELT) has a recommended spacing in the installation paperwork. That is one reason why the antenna for the ELT ended up inside. Also, if you are upside down it doesn't get broken off.

Pete D.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan View Post
    Hey Tony, would a half inch longer bolt solve the problem? (This is how kits get changed.)
    Ran, I agree with Dan, the grip length would be too long on the bolt. With the safety wire, it makes this a non-event (simple and it works).

Dan, keep us updated.

Tony

Your plane looks fabulous. Any chance you could list the mods you made? Thank you.

I recently made a tail spring change. The original furnished four-leaf spring bent on me and didn't seem up to handling the baby Bushwheel tailwheel.

DSCN2106.jpg

I've only made one 3-point landing in my Carbon Cub and I almost always bring the tail down gently when I'm nearly stopped. But I do taxi in some rougher stuff at times. So I'm not sure why the original spring didn't hold up.

I replaced it with a Univair Pawnee three-leaf 1.75" wide spring. And I made a new machined stainless steel retainer bracket for the wider spring.

DSCN2109.jpg

I also took the guts out of the Baby Bushwheel so it is free castering and don't run the springs from the rudder.

Question for the moderator. A fellow I know has been talking to Mitch about an EX kit. And he was familiar with some of the mods I made to my kit. I'm going to refer him to this thread for some of the details. I hadn't looked at this thread in a long time, at least a year or more. But when I went to the beginning of it, it didn't seem to start in the right place. So my question is; does the the vBulletin software chop off a thread at 10 pages? The original beginning seems to be missing.

Thanks, Dan
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post

I replaced it with a Univair Pawnee three-leaf 1.75" wide spring. And I made a new machined stainless steel retainer bracket for the wider spring.
    CubCrafters has a simple bracket with a pair of bushings for doing this. I don't have the part number handy but it is for putting the 1.75" wide tail spring on the Carbon Cub airframe.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    Question for the moderator. A fellow I know has been talking to Mitch about an EX kit. And he was familiar with some of the mods I made to my kit. I'm going to refer him to this thread for some of the details. I hadn't looked at this thread in a long time, at least a year or more. But when I went to the beginning of it, it didn't seem to start in the right place. So my question is; does the the vBulletin software chop off a thread at 10 pages? The original beginning seems to be missing.

Thanks, Dan
    Dan, isn't this the beginning?
    http://www.cubcraftersforums.com/sho...p/460-Kit-Mods

At both the top and bottom of the thread dislpay there are page navigation buttons, looks like 10 pages as of this post. There's no reason the original posts should be missing, please let me know if you can't find them after trying the nav buttons. That is REALLY GOOD stuff you've posted and needs to be available to all.
    Randy Lervold

At the time I made my instrument panel I didn't have a drawing other than some hand sketches. I've since been using SolidWorks and made a model. Here's a drawing from the model. With a slightly bigger panel there is room for quite a few conventional instruments and gauges. And those are my choice for a plane like a Cub.

inst_panel.jpg

I would change the panel a little if I were to do it again. I'd raise the 3.125" and 2.250" round holes up and move the top row of circuit breakers down to the bottom row. This would allow easier access to those C/B's. And I might move the lighting switches from the left wing root to the panel also. I like to idea of keeping electrics out of the wing root/fuel tank area.

If anyone is interested in this style panel I can furnish a dimensioned drawing.

This panel was made from .035" aluminum and I made a .050" backer for the center area as a stiffner and the backer also has a couple of 90 degree horizontal bends for added stiffness.

IMG_0555.jpg

A not-so-good iPhone image of the panel as it is now attached.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    CubCrafters has a simple bracket with a pair of bushings for doing this. I don't have the part number handy but it is for putting the 1.75" wide tail spring on the Carbon Cub airframe.

bracket.JPG

Here's my version.

Dan, after almost 3 years how has your Poly-Tone covered fabric held up in comparison to the Aerothane on the metal and carbon fiber parts? Do you find now there's a big difference in glossiness between the two products? If you had it to do again, what would you use for final coat?