Thread: Hangar space and alternatives.

Question Hangar space and alternatives.

I live in Bellingham, WA. My local Airport Authority, being a sub-governmental entity, refuses to expand the available hanger space. As with other government program consequences, there are high prices and a shortage of supply. I have been on a 'waiting list' (and paying $25 /yr for the privilege) for over 2 years).

Question: I suspect that tying down my new SS on the tarmac would result in rapid and serious degradation from rain, sleet, hail, sun etc... I am reluctant to buy a new SS and then park it out in the open. Your thoughts?

Default Re: Hangar space and alternatives.

Our company S2 and Carbon Cub both live outside, both get well used (over 450 hours on each) and look great. Long term, yes it will shorten the life of the paint/fabric, but not as much as you might think.

The performance paint scheme probably won't last as long (outside) as those with full polyurethane finishes.

Believe it or not, you can almost do more damage trying to clean it improperly than the weather can do. Thats one of the big disadvantages of keeping it outside, is how much dirtier the airplane will get from blowing dust etc. (though probably not as much of an issue on the west side with how wet things are over there)

Pete D

Default Re: Hangar space and alternatives.

I would strongly recommend a cabin cover for anyone considering outside storage. It will keep the sun and rain both out of the cockpit and extend the life of the plexi.
    Randy Lervold