Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Supplemental cooling for the Sport Cub

Default Supplemental cooling for the Sport Cub

For those Sport Cub owners who operate in unusually high ambient conditions and are having trouble with cooling, we have found that we can install a set of the supplemental cowl flaps we recently developed for the CC340 powered Carbon Cub SS. Though the cowls are not the same on the Sport Cub and the Carbon Cub the flap assemblies can be swapped left/right and installed in a different position and they work great. If you're interested check the posting on it here.

Again, this isn't for everyone, but it's an option those who need it. The parts kit will cost $595 and installation is very straightforward. If you'd like a set just contact Ethen Hughes... ethen.hughes@cubcrafters.com
    Randy Lervold

Default Re: Supplemental cooling for the Sport Cub

This is very interesting. Where is the test data for the S2? As the engine is different I would think the cowling acted different also.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokette View Post
    This is very interesting. Where is the test data for the S2? As the engine is different I would think the cowling acted different also.
    No hard test data available, they weren't designed for the Sport Cub because the larger oil cooler has taken care of the small handful of customes with high oil temps. The only test data is our company pilots reporting observed temps relative what they know the aircraft runs at for a given OAT, and a customer in SoCal who installed them and now runs at least 20° cooler, maybe more. Early non-scientific results seem to indicate that it might cool the Sport Cub more than the Carbon Cub.
    Randy Lervold

We are going to be putting them in a customer's S2 that has a Dynon in it here in a few weeks. I am going to try and record before and after numbers, CHTs and oil temp if I can.

Pete D.

I am Located in Santa Monica Ca. and I have run oil temperatures in the upper yellow arc since I purchased 399cc a 2009 S2 from a private patry back in June 2010. Once our Southern California summer arrived high oil temperature readings began to creep up to red line within 5 minutes of any flight w/ OAT above 80 degrees.
    I installed the larger oil cooler per Cubcrafters recomendation with no noticeable decrease in oil temperature.
    After much discussion with my mechanic, dealer and Cubcrafters we came to the conclusion that high oil temperature readings are caused by a lack of air flow in the engine compartment which could be solved with some type of Cowl Flaps. Now a modified version of the Carbon Cub cowl flaps has become available for the S2 to solve this issue.
    I just installed the cowl flaps and saw a maximium oil temperature reading of 165 degrees during today's flight to kcma and back with OAT around 70 degrees and the cowl flaps set in the middle postion. In past flight's to kcma with OAT's in the 70's my oil temperature reading would have been 220 or higher.

I'll repost if results change in warmer OAT.

Rich
    399CC

Rich, that's a huge improvement in oil temps. IMHO, I tend to think the root issue is probably the CHTs.

I am gonna guess that the cowl flaps and larger oil cooler will significantly reduce some of the cylinder issues some owners have had with TCM. ? Time will tell ...

Glad to see CubCrafters working on this. Kudos
    Last edited by Norm; 11-02-2010 at 07:38 AM.

Is there any one else out there who has made this mod and shown this great improvement?

Do they come in yellow? I think they are really really ugly, but ugly is better than hot!

Pete - any data yet?

Diana Votaw
    Last edited by Pokette; 11-07-2010 at 07:19 AM.

We have not done the panel install yet, the engine has been delayed getting back to us and we are going to to the panel exchange and engine re-install all at the same time. I post data as soon as I get it.

Our company S2 has just an oil temp, no CHTs and around here with temps in the mid 50s low 60s and the larger oil cooler with cowl flaps running at 2550+ cruise I can't get the oil hot enough. After 30 minutes it barely gets to 150 degrees. That is with the cowl flaps in the "closed" position. (leaves about 1" gap). We have to put tape over part of the opening in the back of the baffles to get the oil to warm up!

Pete D.

Flying hard down here in SoCal during the latest heat wave, just into the yellow.