Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Supplemental cooling for the Sport Cub

Default Re: Supplemental cooling for the Sport Cub

Any test data from the factory S2 with CHT's and EGT's?
    Diana Votaw
    N110CV

Quote Originally Posted by Pokette View Post
    Any test data from the factory S2 with CHT's and EGT's?
    EGTs of course won't change, and adding the cowl flaps to the S2 was a bit of an afterthought we came up with in trying to help a customer who was operating in a hot ambient environment. Needless to say it worked! Collecting accurate empirical data would take a fair amount of time and resources and we made the call to not spend our time there. We are constantly juggling priorities and must be careful and strategic about what we apply our limited resources to. The cowl flaps really work so what is to be gained by knowing the exact degree reduction, and even then how many conditions would be tested? An infinite number of ambient and load conditions could be tested.

They clearly work, in fact my non-data-based impression is that it provides a greater CHT reduction with the Sport Cub than it does the Carbon Cub. Again, no hard data on that. Your results are consistent with what we've found with other installations and form yet another data point, unscientific though it is.
    Randy Lervold

I am in line for installation either before I get here or after . Necessary for AZ!
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

I asked because:

We are going to be putting them in a customer's S2 that has a Dynon in it here in a few weeks. I am going to try and record before and after numbers, CHTs and oil temp if I can.

Pete D.

I had not heard anything since.
    Diana Votaw
    N110CV

Update;

We have finally just received the engine back for this airplane, it was delayed at the engine shop for reasons beyond our control. Nothing wrong with it or anything, but the owner was considering some aftermarket parts for it that the lead time ended up just being to long so it basically sat in limbo for a while.

I still plan to post some numbers but with the cold weather as it is here, am not sure that it will be very useful. Our company S2 has a plug in the hose to the oil cooler and the cowl flaps taped up to get just barely 180 degrees on the oil, but it doesn't have a CHT gage.

Pete

Pete, what's the approx. cost of parts & labor to install the cowl flaps on #62 at the factory?
    Jeff Jacobs
    Vancouver WA / KVUO
    C-172N-180

Jeff,

Cowl flaps are $600 for parts, and about $400 labor for install. (these are current prices as of Feb 2011)

We would need to know what color you want them before hand, figure at least 1-2 weeks min before you brought the plane over, that way we can do it all in one day. We can do the frame and flap the same color as the airplane, or some guys opt to color match the frame and have the flap carbon fiber clear coat.

You can order parts and/or schedule through Vera by calling our main phone number.

Pete D

In all this, it is still not clear to me. Are the cowl flaps controlled from the cockpit (another cable to pull or push - or some sort of heat spring that opens or closes the levers?

Sport Cub and Carbon Cub cowl flaps are ground adjustable. Typically a seasonally adjusted item, say in the spring and in the fall. It would depend on what part of the country you are in though. There are no cables to the cabin, just several positions that can be adjusted, usually with the cowling off but can be done with the cowling installed.

Pete D.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    Sport Cub and Carbon Cub cowl flaps are ground adjustable. Typically a seasonally adjusted item, say in the spring and in the fall. It would depend on what part of the country you are in though. There are no cables to the cabin, just several positions that can be adjusted, usually with the cowling off but can be done with the cowling installed.

Pete D.
    What is the full open position in terms of effective square inches? Or, simply put, what are the dimensions of the hole that must be cut for the cowl flaps?