Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cub SS

Smile Cub SS

The new SS has surpassed all my expectations except one, cabin heat. I am currently experimenting with weather strip to cut down on air leaks and cold drafts. Made some gains but have a ways to go. Still not sure where some of the cold air is coming from. Winter flying is my favorite time to fly, so I'll be working on this until I get it whipped. Any suggestions or guidance here would be greatly appreciated.

As far as the overall satisfaction of the airplane, it is the nicest flying airplane I have ever flown. That is saying allot because I have been flying since 1976 and most all of my time is in Cubs of all variations and modifications, Citabrias etc. The SS is the best balanced of anything I have flown. Everything you read about the SS is focused on take off and climb performance, which is true,the SS is King. But what really impresses me is how easily the plane will cruise on a very conservative power setting. Also the crispness (the best word I can think to use) of control inputs feels high performance and makes you feel really connected to the airplane.

Every time I push the plane back into the hanger after a flight, just before I close the HydroSwing door and turn off the lights, I find myself turning to take a last look at the SS and saying to myself, you've got to be kidding me, could one airplane do so many things so well!!!!!

Jim and the staff have hit on a real winning combination with the design of the SS, probably one that will become famous in time, for it's longevity in production run.

Thanks to everyone at CC for the wonderful customer support, something that's becoming rare to find these days.

Default Re: Cub SS

Greg,

I use V type weather strip around the door and window. This decreased the cold air flow dramatically. After the installation the heater worked much better. I also use a gerbing’s heated jacket liner and gloves when in harsh winter conditions. They plug into a pig tail off the battery. They are not bulky and very warm. I have flown at 12,500 feet, it was minus 12 F and I was toasty. I landed in Oregon at 4,000 feet where it was 10 F all was good until I opened the door.
    With the setup I have I only turn the jacket the jacket on to warm up. After that I could shut it off and only run the gloves. I also recommend the dual temp controller.
    http://www.gerbing.com/Products/Line...cketLiner.html
    http://www.gerbing.com/Products/Gloves/liner.html
    http://www.gerbing.com/Products/tempControls.html

Ben Hodges
    California Cubs
    805-441-9573
    ben@californiacubs.com

Quote Originally Posted by greg View Post
    The new SS has surpassed all my expectations except one, cabin heat. I am currently experimenting with weather strip to cut down on air leaks and cold drafts. Made some gains but have a ways to go. Still not sure where some of the cold air is coming from. Winter flying is my favorite time to fly, so I'll be working on this until I get it whipped. Any suggestions or guidance here would be greatly appreciated.

As far as the overall satisfaction of the airplane, it is the nicest flying airplane I have ever flown. That is saying allot because I have been flying since 1976 and most all of my time is in Cubs of all variations and modifications, Citabrias etc. The SS is the best balanced of anything I have flown. Everything you read about the SS is focused on take off and climb performance, which is true,the SS is King. But what really impresses me is how easily the plane will cruise on a very conservative power setting. Also the crispness (the best word I can think to use) of control inputs feels high performance and makes you feel really connected to the airplane.

Every time I push the plane back into the hanger after a flight, just before I close the HydroSwing door and turn off the lights, I find myself turning to take a last look at the SS and saying to myself, you've got to be kidding me, could one airplane do so many things so well!!!!!

Jim and the staff have hit on a real winning combination with the design of the SS, probably one that will become famous in time, for it's longevity in production run.

Thanks to everyone at CC for the wonderful customer support, something that's becoming rare to find these days.
    Greg,
    I had hoped that d-seal would help, but maybe it's too thick? I picked up some of the v-seal that Ben mentions and will get that off to you today. I was in the rear seat of an S2 on Saturday wishing I had a roll of duct tape, so I hear you!
    Becky Teerink

You're a sweetheart Becky. Hold off on the v seal for now. I think I may have found some D seal like the one you sent that's smaller, and it comes in different colors. I got white to go with my paint. Looks like it will be just the ticket. I will install and take some pics if it works out. Got this from True Value Hardware. Not all True Value carry it. I just happened on it when I was looking for something else. I will also include the Mfg. and part# .

Well...the v-seal is probably over South Dakota at this point! Keep it, use it if you need to. It's pretty cool stuff because it doesn't put any pressure on the hinges. Yes, please do let us know the brand/model of the seal that you like. Thanks!
    Becky Teerink

Hi Becky, the seal I found is Frost King EPDM D-Profile 6MM X 9MM and seems to fit well. I will be interested to see the seal you sent. Could put it on Dan's SS N430Z. Took some photos with this new phone but can't seem to get the dern thing to talk to the puter. will keep trying.

All The Best,
    Greg

Great, thanks!
    Becky Teerink

Quote Originally Posted by Becky Teerink View Post
    Well...the v-seal is probably over South Dakota at this point! Keep it, use it if you need to. It's pretty cool stuff because it doesn't put any pressure on the hinges. Yes, please do let us know the brand/model of the seal that you like. Thanks!

Hey Becky could I get a little of that V seal (maybe 2') i have some that works on the front of the door but have't had any luck with something for the back and in colorado i've been hearing nothing but complaints from my back seat passangers. Thanks

Blu Gray

One way to get heat to the back seat sometimes is to open the cabin heat full on, and open the front skylight vent pointing down towards the front stick base. This doesn't work when its really cold, but often can get warm air circulating to the back and keep the front seat from being unbearably warm in certain conditions.

A second way that can get air circulating around the cabin from the cabin heat is to open the rear skylight vent pointing back so the air is going out of it. With the cabin heat on this will sometimes make the air move to the back seat a little better.

Again, these methods don't work for all conditions, but sometimes by playing around with them you can get a little more warmth to the back.

Pete D.

Pete, thanks for the hints. You confirmed what I thought with the front vent open...Geo