Thread: Garmin 496 discontinued?

Default Garmin 496 discontinued?

It appears that Garmin is phasing out the 396/496 series: http://www.bydanjohnson.com/

I love my 496 and expect that Garmin will continue to support it for the foreseeable future -- but when the time comes, how much of a hassle will it be to convert my "Deluxe VFR" panel to accommodate an Aera, as on the current models?
    Jeff Jacobs
    Vancouver WA / KVUO
    C-172N-180

Default Re: Garmin 496 discontinued?

Quote Originally Posted by Pilawt View Post
    It appears that Garmin is phasing out the 396/496 series: http://www.bydanjohnson.com/

I love my 496 and expect that Garmin will continue to support it for the foreseeable future -- but when the time comes, how much of a hassle will it be to convert my "Deluxe VFR" panel to accommodate an Aera, as on the current models?
    It shouldn't be too hard. You should just have to change out the Air Gizmo panel dock. From the Air Gizmos website, they state "If you are upgrading from an older Garmin GPS, you will be happy to know that we have designed the aera 500 Panel Dock to fit the same opening as the 196,296,396,496 Panel Dock, and uses the same hole layout for mounting." I am not sure about the cabling.
    Last edited by Dan Frank; 10-18-2010 at 06:57 PM. Reason: spelling
    Dan Frank
    Built and Flying Van's RV-8, N808VR

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Frank View Post
    I am note sure about the cabling.
    I know for sure that the power/data cable, GPS, and XM antennas are different. I'm pretty sure the audio cable is different as well. It is, however not that hard to replace them.

Pete D.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilawt View Post

Interesting timing for the announcement. Garmin has often introduced new units at AOPA Expo. We will see.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

Just to clarify things, yes, the 496 is being discontinued. I was told by their product manager this past spring that we'd have supply until this fall, which is now, so they should be running out any time now.
    Randy Lervold